Healthcare needs good data. At PicnicHealth, we are building deep real-world datasets fueling cutting-edge research while giving patients control of their own medical record data. These complete, clinically-rich datasets produce unique insights — across dozens of diseases — to ultimately get the right treatments into patients’ hands faster. We do this by working directly with patients and leveraging state of the art machine learning to transform messy medical records into structured, research-ready datasets. To date we’ve helped tens of thousands of patients securely access their records and proactively contribute to advancing research in diseases that impacts their lives.
We’re excited to announce $60 million in funding in a Series C led by B Capital Group. Our existing investors Felicis Ventures and Amplify Partners also joined the round, bringing the total we have raised to more than $100 million.
And we are just getting started! If you are looking to join an award winning, mission-driven, motivated team that is making a real impact across millions of people’s lives, PicnicHealth might just be the place for you.
ML at Picnic
Machine learning is at the heart of our work. While the healthcare industry is waiting for standards and APIs to take hold, we’re able to create meaningful medical data today through our process for extracting and structuring medical information from records in whatever format they exist in the real world. We ingest medical records (faxes, scans, etc of printouts from EHRs, electronic data from EHRs) and convert them into structured, labeled medical data. Think of what we do as a multi-stage, human-in-the-loop machine learning system. We 1) run OCR to transform the image into text, 2) identify and label regions of the record, and 3) classify medical concepts with codes from standard ontologies (SNOMED CT, LOINC, RxNorm, ICD, etc) and structure relevant attributes. Ultimately, structuring data is just the starting point. We’ll use machine learning to pull insights from medical data and surface the most relevant information to make better decisions around care.
We’ve sourced and trained a scalable team of nurses in the Philippines to identify and label data and have already labeled records from more than 25,000 different doctors.
As one of our early dedicated machine learning engineers, you’ll take ownership over our machine learning efforts. We need you to not only build out and deploy models, but also establish best practices, mentor team members, and bring expertise to how we think about machine learning.
- Develop machine learning models to improve PicnicHealth’s product and processing efficiency
- Apply expert software development skills to build intelligent user experiences leveraging machine learning
- Own the machine learning pipeline — systems for training, versioning, deploying, and testing models
- Work with product, operations, and sales teams to help define use cases, and develop methodology and benchmarks to evaluate different machine learning approaches
You are a strong candidate if you have:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with linear algebra, calculus and statistics
- Shipped code for 3+ years
- Leveraged machine learning in production environments
An ideal candidate has:
- An MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related technical field
- Exposure to industry or academic research
- Experience with Python, and Python machine learning tooling, including TensorFlow
- Exposure to Deep Learning, Gradient Boosting Machines, and other supervised classification methods
- Large data analysis and visualization experience
- Experience building web applications
- Desire to kick ass and save lives
Perks & Benefits @PicnicHealth
At PicnicHealth you get to solve real problems with real solutions, great tech, and great people.
We offer a hybrid set up for our team: team members in the Bay Area can work from the SF office on a flexible schedule; remote team members are expected to travel to in-person meetings 4-6 times a year.
We strongly encourage new team members to visit the office during our quarterly "Convergence Week" to help build the context, connections, and confidence they need to be successful in this hybrid set up at PicnicHealth. (All travel related expenses on us!)
You also get:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits including above market Health, Dental, Vision
- Family friendly environment
- Flexible time off
- 401k plan
- Free PicnicHealth account
- Equipment and internet funds for home office set up
We require proof of vaccination and booster for COVID-19, except those with medical or religious exemptions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
PicnicHealth is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value a diverse and balanced team where everyone can belong.