Netflix is revolutionizing entertainment and shaping the evolution of storytelling around the world. We deliver billions of hours of movies and shows per month to more than 200+ million accounts globally, reaching new audiences every day. Netflix’s cloud infrastructure plays a pivotal role in making the product experience great for its global subscriber base. We are a data-inspired company and we leverage data to make our product and the underlying infrastructure better.
The Infrastructure focused Data Science & Engineering team enables software engineers to architect, scale and operate cloud infrastructure in a secure, efficient and reliable way and to secure subscribers and devices. It also enables Neflix’s productive workforce to soar. We conduct analyses and develop analytic tools, build predictive models and algorithms using machine learning, all with the goal of future proofing Netflix as a business. Check out thisblog post to learn more about the area and some of the problems we're working on, and for more about our broader research and analytics work, you can visit the Netflix Research website.
You will lead a team within the Infrastructure Data Science and Engineering organization, a cross functional team of talented individual contributors with a diverse set of skills across analytics, data engineering, machine learning, modeling and experimentation to help scale data-powered innovation at Netflix. You'll identify and build data products with an eye toward scaling analytics and access to insights to help improve Netflix's ability to stream to the world.
Core Data Science and Engineering (Hiring) - Responsible for making the Data Science and Engineering organization as productive as possible. Partners closely with the Data Platform and other data and engineering teams to build productivity tooling, maintain highly reusable data sources, and promote innovation for data engineers, data analysts, data scientists, and other data professionals.
Platform Scale (Hiring) - Responsible for improving Netflix’s ability to scale the infrastructure to its global audience and evolving business needs. Partners closely with Platform Engineering, InfoSec, Strategy and Finance, Demand Planning, and other engineering teams to add data insights to human and machine decision makers.
Security (Hiring) - Responsible for securing Netflix’s information and application space. Partners closely with InfoSec, AppSec, Legal, Data Platform, Networking, and other engineering teams to build scalable data solutions that improve Netflix’s trustworthiness and ability to meet regulatory requirements globally.
Platform Innovation (Not Hiring) - Responsible for building leverage in the infrastructure that increased the productivity and innovation capabilities of our internal workforce. Partners closely with Data Platform, Productivity tooling, and other engineering teams to create core datasets that expose patterns about the utilization and overall goodness of our tech stack, to enable automation, determine defaults, and allow for large scale migrations.
What will fill your days
- Visionary: You intuitively understand business and technology and you leverage that to guide a team providing relevant context and inspiration.
- Partnership: You establish strong relationships with both business and technical leaders across Netflix.
- Technical Leadership: You lead from the front and are curious about the domain and able to find opportunities for impact to the business.
- Recruiting: You are constantly on the lookout for talent and have a knack for recognizing and attracting top-tier engineers to your team. You understand the importance of building an amazing team and the value it brings to the overall company.
- Feedback & Development: You see people’s strengths/weaknesses and are both gifted and courageous in talking with them about it.
Character & qualities that will help you succeed
- You’re willing to risk rejection. When you fail, you learn and are willing to try again.
- You’re not afraid of hard conversations and sharing your perspective.
- You embrace diversity in the workplace and you strive to seek diverse ideas and opinions.
- You’re a creative revolutionary, forward thinking and proactive.
- You possess a solid sense of business acumen.
- You listen and communicate well.
- You’re allergic to micromanagement.
- You prefer to give context, delegate, and watch amazing people exceed your hopes and expectations.
- You’re a natural leader but your team and colleagues see your humility.
Who you are
- You likely have a M.S. or Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Physics, Operations Research, etc. Technical publications and ties to academic communities are a plus.
- You have hired and led cross functional data-focused teams comprised of engineers, analysts and scientists with diverse technical strengths.
- You have experience building a technical vision.
- You are an advocate for engineering excellence.
- You have used big data technologies (i.e. Spark/MapReduce/Hadoop, etc…) at one point in your career and built large scale data pipelines.
- You have a background in two or more of the following disciplines: software engineering, data analytics, statistics, modeling, machine learning, and experimentation.
- You have used SQL, Python and some reporting/visualization tools at one point in your career.
At Netflix, we build dream teams to solve real world complex business problems and set high expectations from each team member. Everyone at Netflix cherishes the freedom to innovate, solve interesting problems and influence in a fast paced, exciting environment. Our culture is unique and we strive to live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix culture atjobs.netflix.com.