To give our members a seamless video streaming experience, a symphony of intricate systems works behind the scenes. Netflix encodes content into files that are distributed to our content delivery network, then adaptively streamed by the wide set of devices our members use to watch the content they love. Our data science and analytics team takes a holistic approach to developing a better understanding of each area (encoding, content delivery, streaming client devices), measuring and improving these components, as well as exploring how these components ultimately impact member experience. Our end goal is driving higher-quality viewing experience across the variety of devices and networks our global members use.
At the heart of all our initiatives lies data. As a senior data scientist, you’ll be at the forefront of using advanced quantitative models and experimentation techniques on big data. You’ll work with other data scientists, data engineers, and business teams to advance experimentation science through new metrics, methodological approaches, and hypotheses in order to optimize our streaming product. In addition, you’ll also design creative solutions for problems where we seek causal understanding, especially when controlled A/B testing is not possible.
What You Bring
- Strong statistical skills and intuition and applied experience solving problems through statistics and math
- Strong ability to tease out causality/incrementality vs. correlations
- Passion for solving real-world problems by developing meaningful stakeholder relationships and deep domain expertise
- Expertise in SQL and statistical programming in Python or R; Familiarity with object oriented programming and software engineering practice (experience with data processing and tool development at scale is a plus)
- Exceptional communication with technical and non-technical audiences
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to thrive with minimal oversight and process
Netflix'sculture is key to our success. We celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams, and we approach inclusion equally seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
LG preferred but open to remote hires