The Team and Role
Upstart’s Data Engineering team builds the data infrastructure and platform for our AI lending products. Upstart’s data platform team (Sub-squad within the broad data engineering squad) creates developer-friendly products that enable data discovery, governance, analytics, and reporting. The team’s mission is to promote data-driven decisions by creating the necessary tooling and frameworks in service to data engineering. You will be instrumental in defining and implementing our core infrastructure and help us realize our data-driven mission of affordable credit.
You’ll work closely with Product Managers, Engineers, Designers, and others in a cross-functional environment to ship developer-friendly products. You will also have the opportunity to lead various projects involving data pipelines, data governance, machine learning infrastructure, and API design and development, to name just a few, all working within our native cloud-based application stack.
As a Data Platform Engineer, you’ll organize development efforts, receive technical leadership, design config driven pipelines, and set and maintain high standards of engineering excellence. You’ll also work with exceptionally talented peers and architects, and will never run out of opportunities to continue learning, honing your skills and growing your career.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote (#LI-REMOTE)
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the West Coast time zone.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur a few days per quarter at the San Mateo office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Own and build components of the data infrastructure architecture for driving large-scale data science/analytics projects.
- Create the software that enables our industry-leading machine learning insights to be delivered at enterprise scale.
- Build SDKs and interfaces to deliver key analytic and data science insights.
- Write scalable, robust, and fully-tested software for deployment in mission-critical production environments.
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to identify and prioritize use cases that support the company’s imperatives and objectives and improve upstarts engineers experiences.
- Identify opportunities for data-driven applications that could measurably improve the Upstart engineer’s experience and the business’s efficiency through automation and machine learning.
- Participate in defining cross-functional data governance.
- Identify and provide tools and training to help others leverage data.
What we're looking for:
- 2+ years of industry experience working with distributed data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Kafka, etc) for building efficient, large-scale data pipelines.
- A strong background in distributed data processing & software engineering and with the ability to build high-quality, scalable data products.
- Strong knowledge of data structures, databases, data modeling and data infrastructure ecosystem.
- Experience with relational databases (such as MySQL, Postgres) and analytics databases (such as Redshift, Snowflake).
- Proficiency in at least one high-level programming language (Java, Scala, Python or equivalent).
- BS in computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics or a related field OR equivalent practical experience in data engineering.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud
- Experience building stream-processing applications using Spark-Streaming, Apache Storm, Kafka Streams or others
- Thorough understanding of data lake/warehouse architectures.
- Experience building distributed, high-volume data service.