The Team and Role
Upstart’s Data Engineering team builds the data infrastructure and platform for our AI lending products. Data engineering is part of our engineering organization, as we believe great data engineering relies on solid software engineering fundamentals. However, we also recognize that each Data/Analytics Engineer has a unique blend of skills. Whether your strength is in data modeling or in stream processing, we want to talk to you.
As an Analytics Engineer, you may work cross functionally with product, software engineering, machine learning, finance, growth, and other stakeholders, driving projects from conception to launch, in order to help teams leverage data in their decision making. Thus, helping accomplish our mission of enabling effortless credit based on true risk.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote (#LI-REMOTE)
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the West Coast time zone.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur a few days per quarter at the San Mateo office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
- Python, SQL, Bash, Spark, Kafka, Airflow, Avro, Postgres, Redshift, Looker, Kubernetes, and Docker
How you'll make an impact:
- Collaborating closely with data analysts, data engineers, data scientists, products managers, marketers, and finance analysts to deeply understand their problems and goals, and then design and prioritize solutions to help achieve those goals
- Lead strategy and execution of our analytics roadmap with the goal of scaling our data products to be more accessible, self-serve, reliable, and digestible for all employees across the company
- Architect, build, and launch efficient & reliable new data models and pipelines in partnership with Data Engineering
- Recommend, develop, and implement best practices for reporting, analytics, and generation of key metrics needed to report on the productivity and business performance
- Ability to develop and generate reports and dashboards as required by business stakeholders using Looker and/or other tools
- Provide leadership on how we certify our most critical datasets to our quality standards
- Capture data lineage and data dictionary to build a knowledge base for easy access for all of Upstart
- Monitor and report on KPIs that measure the success of our data products
What we're looking for:
- 7+ years of professional experience as a Data Engineer or Analyst with focus on data modeling and warehousing
- Expertise in SQL, Python and ETL optimization techniques
- Strong understanding of OSX command line and version control software (git).
- Familiarity with business intelligence visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly when explaining technical or complex matters to less technical co-workers
- MS or BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Bioinformatics or a related field OR equivalent practical experience in Data Engineering/Science/Analytics
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like Amazon AWS, Google Cloud (BigQuery, Snowflake , Redshift).
- Experience with building Looker data models (LookML), data pipeline management technologies with dependency checking (e.g. Airflow, dbt), schema design, and dimensional data modeling
- Experience with a thorough understanding of data lake/warehouse architectures (BigQuery, Snowflake, RedShift)
- Experience with Salesforce schema/models and knowledge of Data ingestion tools like Fivetran or Datorama