See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way. Because we know it can be challenging to balance coursework and internship commitments, we offer interns paid time off for mental health, school exams, and personal holidays.
To meet students where they are, we will host internships in both a virtual and in-person format. Opportunities listed will either be in-person based on the location mentioned or virtual, depending on business needs. Some of our internship opportunities that begin in September will continue through the Academic Year and end in April. Please be sure to read this job description carefully and note the internship dates, locations, and departments before applying.
Academic Year Internship Program:
- Applications Close: June 9, 2023 at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – don't delay!
- Program Dates: September 18, 2023 – April 19, 2024
- Time Commitment: 16-24 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need. We will do our best to accommodate course schedules.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
Introducing Peacock, NBCUniversal’s new streaming service that combines timeless shows and movies, exclusive originals, kids programming and current hits, with timely news, sports and pop culture. All together. All in one app.
We are building a world-class team of smart, hungry and fearless professionals who are energized by the possibility of working at the epicenter of content, technology and culture. Unlike a traditional internship, the Data Science Internship in Peacock embeds future data scientists in ongoing projects within the organization. They become active members of existing teams developing data science projects, acquiring specific responsibilities, goals and timelines which are interdependent with the goals and timelines of the teams they are embedded in. Upon the completion, future Data Scientists will have gained experience in real-world projects on a typical data science environment, using state of the art data science tools, and broad exposure to the media industry.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
Peacock Data Science, Customer Behavior: As the data science intern, you’ll get to build machine learning and statistical models to understand and predict customer behavior and interactions with Peacock streaming service, build models for content performance, personalization and recommendations systems, content greenlighting and other business use cases, explore and transform data and create high quality features for the modeling process using self-serve Feature Store capabilities, collaborate with the team to build machine learning pipelines using various ML tools including Kubeflow, and work on improving the codebase and machine learning lifecycle infrastructure and actively participate in all aspects of the teamwork.
Peacock Data Science, Customer Journey: As the data science intern, you’ll get to build machine learning and statistical models to understand customer journey and predict customer lifetime value, explore and transform data (e.g., cleansing, discretization, imputation, selection, generalization) to create high quality features for the modeling process, collaborate with the team to build real-time and automated batch pipelines for productizing data science solutions, use big data, relational and non-relational data sources to access data at the appropriate level of granularity for the needs of specific analytical projects, and work on improving the codebase and machine learning lifecycle infrastructure and actively participate in all aspects of the teamwork.
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the entire duration of the program.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be working from a location within the United States during all hours worked.
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Knowledge of statistics and its applications for inferential data analysis.
- Hands on experience in statistical methods and machine learning with special emphasis on advanced algorithms like neural networks, SVM, random forests, bagging, gradient boosting machines, k-means++, reinforcement learning, etc.
- Familiarity with deep learning modeling using Tensorflow or Pytorch.
- Working knowledge of SQL and Python.
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with data visualization techniques and concepts.
- Experience processing large amounts of data in a cloud environment, like AWS, GCP, etc.
- In pursuit of a Master’s or PhD in Data Science, Computer Science, Operations Research, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics or other relevant quantitative fields.
- Team oriented and collaborative with an aptitude and willingness to learn new methods and tools.
The hourly rate for undergraduate student interns is $30.00.
The hourly rate for graduate student interns is $35.00.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.