NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
As a member of the Data Engineering Team, the Principal Data Engineer, Ad Smart will be directly responsible for design, management, and development of parts of software platform and products for NBCUniversal’s Audience Studio. NBCUniversal’s audience management products will enable NBCUniversal to better understand its brand’s audiences such as NBC News, Bravo, The Tonight Show, Saturday Night Live, and USA Network as well as audiences that cross brands. The goal is to ensure we know who is watching what, where and when. In turn enabling NBCUniversal’s sales teams to properly align our audiences with the market advertisements that can benefit them the most.
You’re a big thinker who can analyze and evangelize a long range opportunity, architect a ground breaking solution, and roll-up your sleeves to get code out the door when needed. You are data driven and analytical. You understand the concept of a value proposition and evaluation criteria, and you know how to align them with low level milestones to get the work done. You can apply domain knowledge from one technical subject, in order to quickly ramp and deliver on a new one. You know how to learn from failure until you succeed, and you are able to articulate and quantify the reasons for your decisions.
You will be part of the Ad Smart Data Engineering team, participating in the data architecture that will drive both current and future data management initiatives within NBCUniversal’s Audience Studio group.
- Serve as a principal data engineer for audience studio data products.
- Participate in, and execute, a 12-36 month product roadmap with input from the delivery team, stakeholders, and leadership
- Develop and code the software components that are core to Ad Smart, under the leadership of the VP Architecture
- Support product with the overall roadmap and ensure updates to senior leadership are 100% technically correct.
- Analyze and report results and adjust the overall engineering strategy accordingly with engineering leadership
- 7+ years of software development experience as a lead developer or manager
- Fluency in Scala and/or Java programming languages
- Strong OO & FP design patterns, data structure, and algorithm design skills
- Extensive experience developing Apache Spark applications
- 3+ years of experience with relational database design (SQL), non-relational (NoSQL) databases, big data, real-time technologies
- Experience with cloud data sources and architectures such as: AWS/S3, HDFS, Kafka
- Experience with software containerization, such as Docker
- Experience developing and / or consuming web interfaces (REST API) and associated skills (HTTP, web services)
- Self-directed, ability to multi-task, sharp analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, capable of working effectively in a dynamic environment
- Experience as a development manager (with direct authority over development staff)
- Experience with Cluster Management and Container Orchestration technologies such as Mesos, Kubernetes, Hadoop/Yarn
- Experience with Apache Kafka or similar streaming technologies
- Experience with digital advertising technologies
- Able and eager to learn new technologies
- Able to easily transition between high-level strategy and day-to-day implementation
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills
- Results-oriented and self-motivated
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $160,000 - $200,000.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.