The Internet you know and love is at risk! A range of political and commercial forces threaten our chances to keep the internet a global public resource, open and accessible to all.
At the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation, we are passionate about fuelling a movement for a healthy internet! We do this by engaging movement leaders and inspiring thousands around the world to take action alongside us. Our work is guided by the Mozilla Manifesto.
The Organizational Effectiveness Team is seeking a Data Specialist to help Mozilla Foundation collect and utilize data and metrics to evaluate the performance and impact of our work, and foster effective data use and data-informed decision-making across the organization. We are at an early stage of building our data strategy and in this role, you will be involved in identifying what we should measure, and how and what data should be collected to measure it.
With guidance and support from the Data Lead, you will play a key role in linking annual organizational and team goals to metrics, and help structure and quantify how we utilize data to determine the impact and performance of our programs. Your responsibilities will include crafting applicable, data-driven narratives that effectively tell the story of our collective impact. You will support the development and implementation of the Foundation’s data infrastructure. You will help ensure that we are collecting the right data and that it is available to champion operations and decision-making. Through the lens of data, you will empower teams across the Foundation to better use data to magnify their efficiency, and help us better understand our role and impact in the global movement to advance ‘trustworthy AI’.
- Identify, define and conduct quantitative analyses to detect and predict patterns, answer complex questions and extract insights that help measure the impact and performance of our activities and programs.
- Acquire, clean, integrate, analyze and interpret disparate data sets using a variety of data analysis and data visualization methodologies, reporting, authoring and presenting findings where appropriate.
- Build integrations and run data flows between Mozilla Foundation’s operational tools and systems, using an enterprise-grade data integration platform.
- Maintain our data model to support operations and program needs, designing and implementing processes to improve data interoperability, including supporting needs around data access and governance.
- Build our data capacity by partnering with teams on data and reporting projects, including identifying data sources and helping choose and use appropriate techniques and software tools to answer questions.
- Help educate and foster the implementation of responsible data practices within the organization.
- 3+ years experience in using data science/analytics to drive decision-making and performance; non-profit, public sector or social impact experience desired. Experience working with CRM data and audience measurement is also desirable.
- Proven expertise in statistical, analytical, business intelligence and data visualization tools, such as Python, R, SQL; and platforms such as Tableau and Google Data Studio.
- Experience working with program delivery and operational teams to define their insight and reporting needs, and translating those into technical requirements and delivery of metrics and data-informed products.
- Experience in data architecture and data analytics across the full data life cycle gained from data-driven organizations, in particular the development of data pipelines and data modelling.
- High level of proficiency in communicating and presenting both verbally and visually to partners at all levels of the organization.
- Experience supporting and advising colleagues on their use of business intelligence tools such as Tableau, Google Sheets and Data Studio.
- Ability to apply independent judgment on complex technical and data issues to resolve problems efficiently.
- Prior experience and leadership working in interdisciplinary teams bridging information technology and domain expertise.
- A real passion for “open” working methods, and familiarity with open source packages and dashboard/ visualization development skills such as experience with Plotly, R Shiny or D3.
We offer the following benefits for our staff :
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.