Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is a brand built on fostering trust between our hosts, guests, and the company itself. We do this in part by ensuring we are responsibly handling data to meet the expectations of our customers and society at large through our Data Governance program. Airbnb is looking to bring on a seasoned leader to run this program.
Our new Director of Data Governance will develop our Data Governance strategy & roadmap and lead the relevant work streams spanning our online and offline data ecosystems. At the highest level, this person will be responsible for developing a holistic systems architecture composed of technology, roles, processes, and data to achieve our objectives in this space. This is an influence-based leadership role, having no direct reports, but guiding the work of teams across the Technology org.
- Drive decision making across Legal, Privacy, Finance, Business, and Engineering teams on how to adhere to data governance objectives while maximizing the value of the affected data and the productivity of our workforce
- Develop data policies for data access, data compliance, data retention, and data lifecycle management
- Educate data stewards and consumers on how to adopt data policies
- Define and drive adoption & utilization of our data classification taxonomy for Data Compliance, Data Privacy, Data Hygiene, and Data Quality use cases
- Develop and guide implementation of automated rules associated with each data classification
- Drive offline data architecture decisions to support evolving requirements
- Operationalize data governance processes in partnership with data stewards across the company
- Partner with our Data Platform & InfoSec teams to develop next generation data governance tools and workflows
- Partner with IT teams on Data Governance considerations for third-party applications
- Develop strategy for managing third-party data ingested into our data ecosystem
- Develop our Master Data Management strategy, ensuring quality of critical data elements & identifying opportunities to increase business value through data
- Conduct periodic reviews of data ecosystem to ensure data policy is being appropriately applied
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in STEM or Data-related field, or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years’ experience designing, deploying, and managing Data Governance programs
- Ability to operate in a fast-moving environment supporting a rapidly growing business
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Demonstrated project management skills
The starting base pay for this role is between $250,000 and $315,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.