The Team and Role
Our team designs and develops robust and scalable data models for analytics and machine learning stakeholders to empower them to retrieve meaningful insights. Our Analytics Engineering team is centralized within the company and partners closely with data engineering, data platform, software engineers, ML engineers and cross functional analytics squads to stitch together datasets to create data models that are ready for consumption.
In addition to architecting data models, we implement Analytics Engineering best practices around Data Governance, Data Quality, Data Orchestration and pipeline optimization. We enable analysts to think like software engineers by defining, documenting and ensuring adoption of best practices when making contributions to the analytical code-base.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; Austin, Texas; Remote USA
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Quarter at alternating Upstart office locations. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Formulate a technical vision and roadmap for analytics engineering at Upstart
- Understand how data is produced and consumed at a deep level - you will need to be extremely collaborative with the teams that produce and consume the data to create an end-to-end solution that maximizes the value of our data
- Having an impact on the software engineering, analytics, and machine learning organizations by educating them on data architecture practices that improve the data landscape across the entire company
- Be a close strategic partner to analytics squads to participate in decision making on the analytics road map for Upstart
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of experience as a Data Engineer / Analytics Engineer / BI Engineer
- Strong understanding of data modeling concepts in both transactional and analytical databases
- Proven ability to design and implement the data architecture at an organizational level to lead to better outcomes for producers and consumers of the data
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, particularly when explaining technical or complex matters to less technical co-workers
- Familiarity with business intelligence visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau, Power BI, etc.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
- Thorough understanding of data lake/warehouse architectures (BigQuery, Databricks, Redshift)
- Experience prioritizing goals based on the larger picture, while being comfortable getting into the details as needed
What you'll love:
- Competitive compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices