At Stitch Fix, our goal is to help our customers look great and feel great about themselves by revolutionizing how people shop. In a time-starved world where shopping often feels overwhelming, our business connects customers to clothes they love. Whether it’s helping someone dress for success at a new job or taking the stress out of packing for a family vacation, we fix clients’ closets – and they love us for it!
We’ve built unique, innovative software for merchandising, warehouse and inventory management, remote styling, and logistics. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our clients and a very successful business. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people to contribute!
Principal Data Engineer (Product Catalog)
Stitch Fix is transforming the way people find what they love. Our technology teams have created unique, innovative software for our customers as well as employees in merchandising, styling, warehouse systems, and inventory management. We leverage data and user research to personalize our service and make smart bets. The result is a delightful offering for our customers and a successful business serving millions. We're looking for outstanding people to contribute to our evolution.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In this exciting role, you will get in on the ground floor of a distributed team of next-level engineers and cross-functional partners including data, software, product, commerce, algorithms, and merchandising. You're expected to have strong written communication skills, to be a leader in your space, and to develop strong working relationships with coworkers and business partners.
You will be architecting, designing, implementing, integrating and supporting our product master data catalog solutions, driving the next stage in Stitch Fix’s evolution of a data driven organization. You will be creating the future of how Stitch Fix curates a product offering and how clients are styled into highly personalized outfits.
This is a remote position available within the United States. We operate in an agile-inspired manner; collaborating across multiple time zones. We build modern software with prevailing techniques like TDD, continuous delivery, DevOps, and service-oriented architecture. We focus on high-value products that solve clearly identified problems but are designed in a sustainable way and deliver long-term value.
- Operate as an engaged member of the engineering team - leading meetings, creating technical design documents & project plans, partnering with other engineers and teams to work towards solutions.
- Collaborating with stakeholders while leading the technical discovery, decision-making, and execution of complex and critical projects.
- Model consistent, impactful delivery and calculated prioritization.
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others.
- Finding new and better ways of doing things that align with business priorities.
- Influencing other engineers toward right-sized solutions.
- Participating in on-call rotations and you understand operational excellence and advocate best practices for incident response and technical investment.
- Architect, design, implement, support, and communicate data models and data solutions.
- 10+ years of experience as a data engineer.
- 5+ years experience with building and architecting integrations (APIs, Events, and Bulk ETL), and supporting data infrastructure design.
- Hands-on experience architecting, designing, implementing, integrating and supporting master data management solutions (Stibo, Informatica, Riversand, or Semarchy).
- You are bright, kind, and motivated by challenge.
- You have excellent analytical skills.
- You have exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- You take initiative and operate with accountability.
- You have experience evolving and scaling a resilient distributed service architecture and can speak to the tradeoffs and compromises you had to make.
- You have worked on complex, long-running, cross-functional projects as part of a team.
- You have participated in a process of prioritizing technical investments against other business priorities.
RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES INCLUDE...
- Multi Domain Master Data Management (MDM) and/or Product Information Management (PIM) platforms such as Stibo, Informatica, Riversand, or similar,
- Data integration including bulk ETL, JMS Queueing (MQ, AQ, Queues, Topics), Kafka and API development.
- GraphQL, Postgres, NoSQL and SQL data technologies.
- Go, Ruby, Rails, Node.js.
YOU'LL LOVE WORKING AT STITCH FIX BECAUSE WE...
- Are a successful, vibrant, fast-growing company
- Are a technologically and data-driven business
- Are at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining shopping for the next generation
- Are passionate about our clients and live/breathe the client experience
- Get to be creative every day
- Have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas
- Believe in autonomy & taking initiative
- Full support for remote work—and you get to visit our SF office every few months to connect with your peers and partners
- Offer transparent, equitable, and competitive compensation based on your level to help eliminate bias in salaries, as well as equity and comprehensive health benefits
- Are serious about our commitment to life-work balance, and have generous parental leave policies