Upstart’s Machine Learning team has a direct impact on our company's success. The team consists of Research Scientists, Data Scientists, ML Engineers and other highly specialized roles. As a whole, the Machine Learning team is responsible for building, enabling and evaluating our core production models.
Because our challenges are so new, members of our Machine Learning team need strong creative problem-solving skills and the technical background to implement solutions. Our research environment affords team members the opportunity to utilize a variety of statistical and machine learning methods with the freedom and encouragement to pursue alternative approaches to solving problems. Whether developing new products or identifying novel approaches to core models, we are continuously seeking the next big ideas to move our business forward.
As a Machine Learning Engineer with Upstart, you'll enjoy a fast-paced environment with a focus on productionalizing, deploying and training machine learning models. You’ll also have an opportunity to work alongside a talented team that values curiosity, humility, drive and teamwork.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Austin, Columbus or Remote (#LI-REMOTE)
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on either the East or West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions six times annually split between the San Mateo or Columbus office locations. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of professional experience as a Machine Learning Engineer or production-focused Data Scientist or Research Scientist
- Knowledge of machine learning and statistics
- Experience with machine learning tools such as Scikit-learn, XGBoost and Keras/TensorFlow
- Fluency in Python coding as well as data manipulation (SQL, Spark, Pandas)
- Familiarity with CNNs, RNN, LSTMs, and the latest research trends
- Experience productionalizing, deploying, and training machine learning models
- Experience optimizing models for memory and speed
- Interest in helping other Research Scientists improve code quality in addition to conducting independent analyses
- Comfortable thinking about optimization functions, linear algebra, etc. as we develop custom learning algorithms
- Advanced degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics or related area of study
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal Development and Technology & Ergonomic Budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (Game Nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, Book Club, Investing Club, Money Discussions, Photography Club and Basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
The minimum base pay for this position in Colorado is $132,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This information is provided in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay Act. It is specific to Colorado and may not be applicable to other locations.