BlueChip Financial is looking for a well-experienced Senior Data Scientist to join our cutting edge team of world-class analysts and engineers to expand our internal machine learning solutions. Bluechip is demonstrating rapid growth and increasing profit, yet our tech team is relatively small. We have a start-up-like mentality and atmosphere. We are a team of really sharp people in a work environment that is fun, challenging, and rewarding. The focus of the work you’d be involved in is directly tied to the expansion of our machine learning/AI automation infrastructure (predominantly green-field deployments). The compensation (base + bonus) and benefits package for this position is competitive. Our working environment is both casual and inclusive. Bluechip Financial’s primary technology team is located in Atlanta, Georgia; however, fully remote work will be considered for the right candidate. (Note: The current team is working fully-remote in response to the COVID-19 pandemic).
As a Sr. Data Scientist at Bluechip Financial, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Work directly with both data scientists and software engineers to design, develop, deploy and maintain data-related microservice architectures: pipelines that are scalable, optimized, secure, and fault-tolerant.
- Be responsible for managing data science teams and projects centric to specific data science/analytics initiatives outlined by leadership.
- Define and develop guidelines, standards, and processes to ensure data quality and integrity.
- Ensure data science production processes are fully documented, appropriately tested and monitored to meet BCF performance requirements.
- Utilize and help to improve our machine learning pipelines for our Underwriting platform, our fraud prevention services, and marketing services.
- Work both independently and as part of a team to identify and solve problems and accomplish tasks in a logical, methodical, and time-efficient manner when given high-level tasks or objectives.
- Collaborate across all levels and roles of the BlueChip team, consultants and vendors.
- 5+ professional experience as a data scientist or equivalent role.
- An advanced degree (MS/PhD) in Computer Science, Operations Research, Statistics, or another quantitative discipline. Deep data science experience without an advanced degree will also be considered.
- 3+ years experience with Python Coding (not just for data science) and associated data science related dependencies (e.g., pandas, scikit-learn, etc.). Strong skills in SQL and/or R are a plus.
- Experience building, documenting, testing, deploying, and managing end-to-end machine learning pipelines.
- Demonstrable experience and success working with large datasets derived from varying storage platforms.
- Experience managing and mentoring data science teams.
- Experience with all phases of software development life cycle.
- Experience with both larger scale relational and non-relational data frameworks.
- Ability to collaborate well with others.
- Clear and Strong communication skills, no ego.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) from a competitive University in a highly-quantitative discipline, however, the right combination of experience and education will be considered.
- Experience in financial services or other highly regulated environments.
Location and Travel
BCF is headquartered in Belcourt, North Dakota with a satellite office in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This position can be remote, although travel to both offices will be required. Under normal (post-pandemic) circumstances, travel will also be required to attend industry conferences and may also be required for vendor management, both of which may vary at times. Total travel should flex between 10% and 30% per month.
Perks and benefits
- The opportunity to help bring much-needed income and economic development to the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians
- Competitive salary and performance bonuses
- Generous employee benefits plan, including robust healthcare plans, matching 401K, and four weeks of PTO
- Company-sponsored professional development and training opportunities
About the Company
BlueChip Financial (d/b/a Spotloan.com) is a leading online direct lender founded in 2012 that utilizes advanced underwriting technology to provide short-term loans to Americans in need. BCF is wholly owned and operated by the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians of North Dakota, a Federally-recognized Native American Tribe (the “Tribe”).
BlueChip Financial is an integral part of the Tribe’s economic development efforts, and it is an essential provider of employment opportunities on the Tribe’s reservation. Employment decisions at BCF are based on qualifications, ability, and merit. When qualifications are equal, candidates who are enrolled members of the Tribe will receive preference. After considering this preference, it is BCF’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or national origin.