The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Allstate operate a very flexible hybrid working policy that will allow you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager with a blend of remote and office working for NI based employees as well as condensed working patterns (4 day week/9 day fortnight) or other part-time working. Employees based in GB will be employed on a permanent remote working contract.
Join our team and you’ll find challenge and reward in a culture of innovation, support and balance.
Belfast/ Derry – Londonderry/ Strabane/Remote GB
Your role in the team
Data, Discovery, and Decision Science (D3) is the research and analytics organization at Allstate. In D3, you’ll be surrounded by 360+ tenacious and intellectually curious colleagues in an inclusive culture that encourages you to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good. We are solving some of today’s most complicated analytics problems, making the lives of our Allstate colleagues easier and more productive, and driving our mission to deliver targeted insurance solutions to our customers.
We are partnering to incorporate analytics into every aspect of the enterprise. We are avid about learning new ways to get the most value from our massive data resources and leading-edge technology. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team where everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. We strive to hire people from different backgrounds so that we can better serve our diverse customer needs.
This role is responsible for the use and development of data infrastructure projects & proof of concept business solutions for users in analytics and Data Science. This person works directly with data scientists and analytic engineers on needs and tactical solutions. This role will execute new data engineering work tracks for Data Science and analytics from inception and prototyping to fully developed solutions. This role will also manage projects of medium complexity.
Want to know more about our department and what we do? Hear what our team has to say about the roles and our work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EC4FXe4Bw
Key responsibilities include:
- Work closely with Data Science and business partners requiring subject matter expertise in the business as well as advanced analytics.
- Participate in requirement development, breaking down business problems into solvable components and assists in documenting requirements
- Participates in developing test plans and scripts, preparation of test data, reconciliation of data sources, and execution of functional tests.
- Help develop and deliver the data infrastructure required to support needs of predictive modeling and analytics with minimal supervision
- Execute rapid development of new data and analytic work tracks with fast iteration over quick sprints
- Leverage “agile” data analysis with technology fluency in parallel processing/programming, software/programming languages and technologies (i.e. Oracle, MongoDB, SQL, Python, Spark, Kafka, Scala and Hadoop) paired with a high degree of analytic agility to be able to meet fluid and dynamic business needs in this space.
- Provide input on the development of enterprise data assets, information platforms or data spaces designed for exploring and understanding the data. Participate in supporting the data engineering environment, and execute monitoring, quality and validation processes to ensure data accuracy.
- Execute data exploration, data engineering, testing and implementation.
- Participate in and help execute the development of new concepts, proof of concept designs, and prototypes for business or research data solutions so that business users or predictive modelers may visually understand and explore a new feature or functionality before implementation to expose design assumptions and drive ideation.
- Mentor other team members in a business technical environment and promote an environment that supports innovation and process improvement.
So, what are the essential criteria to apply?
- All candidates must evidence an existing right to work in the UK
- 3+ years’ experience in a related field developing sophisticated big data pipelines in support of machine learning and advance analytics in industry or postgraduate experience.
- Experience leading technical projects.
We also have some desirable criteria
- Distributed computing or big data frameworks such as Spark, Mesos, Hadoop, AWS, Scality, etc.
- Programming in Python, Scala, Java or C/C++
- Working with structured relational databases and writing queries (e.g. SQL), nested data structures, stream processed data, or unstructured data
- Machine learning or statistics to solve real-world problems
- Conducting data analytics and root cause analysis to answer business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Leading & managing teams of technical individuals
- A degree of any level in a quantitative field such as mathematics, physics or computer science with classification of 2:1 or higher (or equivalent
Previous applicants in the last 12 months need not apply.
What we offer
As Digital DNA’s Workplace of the Year 2020 & 2022 winners, we offer a generous benefits package that includes flexible annual leave entitlement, dental and healthcare insurance, an attractive pension package and discounts on gym memberships, public transport and parking.
Allstate invests heavily in your development, as an employee you will have access to multiple world-class learning platforms and courses from our award-winning in-house Learning & Development team.
We pride ourselves in providing clear career paths and opportunities for internal mobility allowing you to further develop within the organisation.
We encourage a better work life balance and you’ll have the opportunity to apply for various flexible working arrangements.
Statement on Fair Employment and Equal Opportunities
Allstate NI wishes to ensure equal opportunity is given to all job applicants. This company will not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender (including gender reassignment status), sexual orientation, religious belief, political opinion, marital status, age or disability.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as women are currently under-represented in our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from women. All appointments will be made on merit.
Applicants should note Allstate NI complete AccessNI background checks on all candidates offered a position.
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 28th October 2022