Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
A Data Scientist within Internal Auditing & Advisory Services (IAAS) is challenged with identifying risk through analytic tools and processes. You will work closely with audit teams comprised of a Project Manager and Auditor-In-Charge to create data driven objectives to assess and identify potential risk, such as inefficient processes or weak controls. Involved from start to finish, you will be responsible for identifying data sources, securely transferring data, developing and executing analytics, and communicating results to the audit team and business partners. You will typically support the engagement as an auditor, leveraging your analytical results and documenting the control environment. You will conduct 8-12 analytics projects annually, spanning a wide variety of processes and business units across the corporation.
A Data Scientist within IAAS is a 2-3 year position that serves as a unique opportunity to learn about Caterpillar, to gain exposure and interact with senior leaders across the company, and to develop a risks and controls mindset that will be beneficial throughout your career. IAAS leadership is committed to helping you develop the skills you need to achieve your career goals.
- Research in-scope business risks and associated business processes
- Gain understanding of relevant systems and underlying data
- Design data-driven objectives to assess risks and controls
- Use analytical tools and scripts to execute objectives
- Communicate results and recommendations to audit teams and auditee
- Occasionally perform as a staff auditor during fieldwork phase
- Work independently to Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology or quantitative field
- Understanding of relational databases and SQL
Top candidates will also have:
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability and desire to learn quickly
- Exposure to Caterpillar ERP and IT systems
- Programming experience (e.g., C#, Java, Python, R, etc.)
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Data Visualization experience (Tableau, Power BI, etc.)
- Experience with ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) design
- Risk and controls experience
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity
- This position would ideally be located in Peoria, IL; Deerfield, IL; however open to considering other Caterpillar facilities within the U.S. (candidates permanent address must be within 50-mile driving distance to a Caterpillar facility). For a full list of U.S. Caterpillar facilities please visit: https://www.caterpillar.com/en/company/global-footprint/americas/united-states.html
- Domestic relocation is available for those who qualify
- This position requires up to 15% travel
Employee benefit details:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary, because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits [medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401(k)] along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .