The Senior Data Specialist is a technical resource involved in data quality, data design, metadata management and data governance of Caterpillar’s digital offerings.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Competent to perform all necessary data related task which could include data design, data quality, metadata management, data governance or data architecture.
- Work directly on complex problems and provide solutions aligned with overall objectives of Cat Digital.
- Understand and evaluate business requirements that impact the Caterpillar enterprise, dealership partners, and other internal and external customers.
- Liaises with data creators to support project planning, training, guidance on standards, and the efficient creation/maintenance of high-quality data
- Contributes to policies, procedures, and standards as well as technical requirements
- Create the data management strategy and define continuous improvement goals of data quality, governance and processes.
- Lead communication across various lines of businesses and technology partners to constantly monitor, collect, review, and roadmap business data requirements, and related technology solutions.
- Ensure compliance with the latest data standards supported by the company, and brand, legal, information security (data security and privacy compliance).
- Maintain knowledge of functional technology of the data management systems as they change with upgrades and new releases.
- Maintain existing data quality scorecard measurements, executing of scorecards, resolving exceptions with data owners and source systems
- Accountable to design robust, scalable database and data extraction, transformation and loading (ETL) solutions
- Document data models for domains to be deployed including a logical data model, candidate source lists, and canonical formats.
- Develop data ingestion store specifications identifying source systems and the tables and fields to ingest.
- Develop data object pipeline specifications including detailed field level mapping, business rules, data quality rules, etc.
- Creates, updates, and enhances metadata policies, processes and catalogs
- Drives alignment and coordination of data governance efforts
Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
- A 4-year degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience
- 5 years or more of experience in data management (data design, data quality, metadata, governance, etc.)
Top candidates will also possess these Qualifications
- Understanding of information management concepts such as controlled vocabularies, authority control, data modeling, and schema design.
- Strong knowledge of end-to-end data lifecycle across traditional data warehouses, relational databases, operational data stores, business intelligence reporting, and big data analytics.
- Strong understanding of data governance, metadata management, data quality, data modeling, and data architecture concepts
- Experience in Metadata Management role within a large corporation preferably high tech or technology manufacturing
- Experience creating conceptual and logical data models
- Experience with metadata managers like Erwin’s Mapping Manager
- Experience with data profiling tools such as Alteryx
- Experience with data cataloging tools such as Collibra or Alation
- Extract, Transformation, Load (ETL) development skills
- Knowledge of data technology products and components for Big Data and Cloud (AWS, Data Lakes, and similar).
- XML and JSON file format knowledge
- Strong SAS programming skills with proficiency in using SAS-PC with data step, macro processing, and PROC SQL
- Experience with Object Oriented Concepts/Development/Modeling
- Ability to work collaboratively in a complex, rapidly changing, and culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex technical ideas, regardless of the technical capacity of the audience.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment where digital is still evolving as a core offering
The preferred location is Peoria, IL, Chicago, IL or Dallas, TX, but remote work within the United States is available for the right candidate.
Compensation & Benefits
Base salary for this role ranges from $104,112 to $156,168. Actual salary will be based on experience. The total rewards package, beyond base salary will include:
- Annual incentive bonus plan*
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid time off plan (Vacation, Holiday, Volunteer, Etc.)
- 401k savings plan
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Short and long-term disability coverage
- Life Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Healthy Lifestyle Programs
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Voluntary Benefits (Ex. Accident, Identity Theft Protection)
*Subject to annual eligibility and incentive plan guidelines .
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .