Grammarly team members who will be collaborating at our San Francisco hub must be based in the United States.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead and rapidly scale our Data Engineering team. The person in this role will lead a talented team of software engineers focusing on building analytical data models, pipelines, and innovative tools. They’ll work cross-functionally with many teams across the company.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As the manager of the Data Engineering team and the owner of our company-wide data lake, you will set the vision for data schemas, analytical tooling, and pipelines. Our cutting-edge data lake is the central hub for all data producers and data consumers, so your impact will span all of Grammarly.
Data engineers are responsible for making disparate data centrally available to Grammarly’s team members while ensuring query efficiency and efficacy. Your team will be supporting all of Grammalry’s functions to help us successfully operate three lines of business: individual consumers, enterprise, and Grammarly’s developer platform. The backbone of the Grammarly Data Engineering manager’s success will be communication, stakeholder management, and a passion for data.
In this role, you will:
- Continue to scale a highly specialized engineering team to support the growing needs and complexity of our product and business organizations.
- Help the team find the best possible balance of the three most important aspects of Grammarly’s internal analytics platform: scalability and low cost in terms of infrastructure and engineering effort; low latency while processing and querying huge datasets; and limitless versatility in responding to data queries with deep insights (while also being very easy to use).
- Mentor engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers.
- Build relationships with all of Grammarly’s functions to generalize data needs and guide the roadmaps of our internal platforms.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is passionate about helping millions of users across the world communicate more effectively, every day.
- Demonstrates a strong track record of building and leading productive engineering teams.
- Can execute complex projects with a high level of autonomy.
- Has experience building out a data warehouse or part of it (e.g., Marketing, Sales, Product etc.).
- Leads by setting well-understood goals and sharing the appropriate level of context for maximum autonomy but is also deeply technical and can dive in to help when necessary.
- Utilizes their strong communication skills to build productive relationships with their reports, peers, leadership, and cross-functional partners.
- Can guide the team to build optimal data models and efficiently utilize our data infrastructure.
Support for you, professionally and personally
Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
A connected team: Grammarly builds products that help people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, 401(k) matching, and more.
For Colorado-based employment: The salary range for this position is $156,000 – $326,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The compensation package includes a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits, as well as equity.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program.