The Amherst Group of companies comprise of leading real estate investment and advisory firms with a mission to transform the way real estate is owned, financed and managed. Amherst leverages its proprietary data, analytics, technology, and decades of experience to seek solutions for a fragmented, slow-to-evolve real estate ecosystem and to materially improve the experience for residents, buyers, sellers, communities, and investors. Today Amherst has over 1000 employees and $14.1 billion in assets under management.
Over the past decade, Amherst has scaled its platform to become one of the largest operators of single-family assets and has acquired, renovated, and leased more than 46,000 homes across 32 markets in the U.S. The firm delivers customized, stabilized cash-flowing portfolios of assets to its investors, wrapped in all the ongoing services required to manage, own, and finance the asset including property management, portfolio management, and a full capital markets team. In addition to its single-family rental platform, Amherst’s debt business pursues two distinct credit strategies in mortgage-backed securities and commercial real estate lending. Over its 25-year history, Amherst has developed a deep bench of research and technology talent, and leverages data and analytics at every stage in the asset lifecycle to improve operations and preserve long-term value for our investors and the more than 188,000 residents the firm has served.
- Support an analytical data infrastructure providing application, tool and ad-hoc access to large datasets consisting of complex data types
- Engage with business stakeholders to understand strategic roadmaps and build a technical strategy to support them
- Interface with DevOps teams to extract, load and transform data from a wide variety of data sources using big data technologies in AWS cloud including Glue, and Lambda/Kappa architectural patterns.
- Deploy high value, high performance datasets in Databricks.
- Creation and support of real-time data pipelines built on AWS technologies including Glue, S3, Lambda, EMR, EventBridge, Athena, Kinesis, and IoT Core.
- Embed quality and intelligent reporting capabilities into data pipelines including detection of anomalies and changes in trends with meaningful alerts and statistics.
- Maintains industry awareness of technology landscape and effectively evaluate and recommend opportunities to adopt new technology and innovate functional capabilities.
- Collaborate with data scientists and other tech teams to implement advanced analytics algorithms into our data pipelines that exploit our rich datasets for statistical analysis, prediction, clustering and machine learning.
- Help continually improve automation and simplifying data-as-a-service, and self-service data roadmaps.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or related fields, or equivalent experience
- 7-10 years of industry experience in software development, data engineering, business intelligence, data science, or related field with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
- Mastery of database query development and tuning
- Experience in mentoring junior team members through Data Engineering fundamentals in a professional setting
- Hands on AWS experience including Glue, Redshift, S3
- Hands on experience with Apache Spark
- Hands on Experience with data modeling in delta lake tables.
- Mastery in building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
- Knowledge of, and experience with data transformation technologies and tools
- Able to write, debug, unit test, and performance test data integration processes
- Experience in real estate setting preferred
- Data streaming technologies (Kinesis, Kafka) desirable
- Geospatial data manipulation and storage desirable
- Python and / or Java programming, R, SQL, Scala etc.
- Business rules engines such as Drools a plus
- Data modeling and virtualization
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities And Competencies:
Balances Stakeholders: Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders
Effective Collaboration: Work well within teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals utilizing trust and inspiration
Business Insight: Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals
Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
Professionally Self-aware: Develops personal brand and works with leadership to meet both their career goals and the organization's goals
Drives Engagement: Helps to foster innovation by creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
Manages Ambiguity: Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear, is willing to ask for and offer ideation
Organizational Savvy: Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics
Situationally Adaptable: Approach and demeanor in real time will match the shifting demands of different situations
Our full-time employee benefits include:
A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
Professional career development and reimbursement
Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.