Borrowell is a Canadian company dedicated to making financial stability possible for everyone. The first to offer free credit scores, Borrowell provides educational resources, monitoring, innovative digital tools and personalized product recommendations to help people feel in control and optimistic about their financial future.
With over 1.5 million members, Borrowell is one of the largest fintech companies in Canada. Borrowell has won numerous awards, including being named one of the top 100 fintech companies in the world by KPMG, ranking 4th on the Deloitte Technology Fast 50™ list of fastest-growing companies in Canada, and making App Annie's list of Breakout Finance Apps for 2019.
Borrowell places a high value on building a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to have a gender-balanced team. Borrowell was named one of the Top 50 Best Workplaces in Canada (<100 employees), as well as one of the Best Workplaces for Mental Wellness, Women and Millennials.
About the Role:
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be creating and maintaining the data pipelines working with latest technologies like Snowflake, Apache Airflow, Azure Functions, and Looker for business analytics, and overall getting your hands dirty with large data sets. You will be engaged in identifying, designing, and implementing process improvements for the team.
During your first year, you can expect to:
- Hold an impactful role in modernizing existing pipelines of our newly-acquired partner company, Refresh Financial, with which you will help integrate them into Borrowell's data systems by migrating on-premises data to cloud
- Constantly evaluate our existing data engineering tech stack, looking for optimizations and improvements
- Maintain the Snowflake data warehouse using DBT and Terraform
- Work with internal stakeholders to collect data for measuring their key performance metrics
- Design data pipelines to extract data from a variety of sources, including unstructured, semi-structured, and fully structured data
- 2+ years working experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and data sets
- Experience with:
- Relational and NoSQL databases (MongoDB/Cassandra/CosmosDB)
- Query authoring (SQL) as well as practical familiarity with a variety of databases
- Object-oriented and functional scripting languages (Python)
- Building and maintaining data lakes
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working with:
- Apache Airflow, DBT, and Snowflake
- Writing stored procedures in Snowflake
- Terraform/Amazon Redshift/Google BigQuery (GBQ)
- Microsoft SSIS
- Microsoft ServiceBus/Amazon SQS/Google Pub/Sub
- Bash/PowerShell scripting and Azure DevOps
- Implementing GDPR and/or CCPA policies
- Data visualization tools (Looker/Tableau)
- Event hubs (Apache Kafka/Amazon Kinesis/Azure Event Hubs/Google Pub/Sub
- Desire to continuously learn how to implement the latest tech and analytical tools into our tech stack
- A passion to improve the financial lives of Canadians through innovative use of technology and data-driven systems
- Willingness to mentor others and embrace feedback
- Clear, open, and transparent communication
- Ambition to continuously improve self
- The Opportunity - join and have a major impact at a growing company that is helping make financial stability possible for everybody
- Comprehensive Health Benefits - medical, dental, vision, and paramedical health benefits for you and your family
- Additional Health Benefits - virtual benefit offering that allows you to connect with nurses, doctors and mental health professionals
- Maternity & Parental Leave Top-up - available to new parents
- Wellness & Transit Benefit - $600 annually to spend on a gym membership, daycare, petcare, etc.
- Employee Development Benefit - $250+ annually to spend on courses, conferences, certifications, etc.
- Givewell Benefit - 1 paid volunteer day a year to give back to the community
- Flexibility - flexible working hours and a flexible vacation policy
We will be remote-first for all of 2021. In 2022, we will implement a flexible remote policy with opportunities to work in-office.
At Borrowell, one of our core values and firm beliefs is that diversity makes us better. If you’re unsure about your qualifications for this position, we’d still encourage you to apply. We’re looking for candidates who have experience, but know that not everyone’s had a chance to demonstrate what they can do. What’s most important is that you have a growth mindset and care about helping people with their finances - an area in their lives that causes a lot of stress.
Please note that due to the sensitive nature of the work we do, clearing a credit and criminal record check is a condition of employment.
Borrowell encourages applications from candidates with differing abilities. Please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage in the selection process.