Location Phoenix, Arizona; Plano, Texas; San Antonio, Texas Job ID R0073291 Date posted 03/30/2022
Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Data Engineer Mid-Level, for either our San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX, or Phoenix, AZ facility. This person may also work remotely in a 100% Remote Work Environment. This is an opportunity to work with the best of the best, for a company that is the best of the best, on a career making opportunity, to modernize the data eco-system leveraging some of the most advanced tool sets and cloud platforms.
The candidate selected for this position will be responsible for developing and maintaining data processing pipelines and work with multi technology tools. This individual will work closely with USAA P&C Products, several application development, testing and info governance teams. The candidate should be willing to learn new technologies and upskill as required. He/she will be primarily responsible for analyzing different data streams, engineer data exports and imports, build ETL ELT streams, support various data modernization needs including end to end support for all data migrations and
Data Engineers (DEs) are engaged in all phases of the data management lifecycle. This includes gathering and analyzing requirements, collecting, processing, storing, securing, and archiving data. Develop and maintain technical systems for data reporting and technical solutions utilizing emerging technologies. Partner with the business to ensure data management solutions aligned to business objectives.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.
We're proud of USAA's strong history --and we're even more passionate about our future. That's why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And why we're continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you'll find exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and growing.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Independently conducts work on the full life cycle of data engineering to include analysis, solution design, data pipeline engineering, testing, deployment, scheduling, and production support.
- Designs and implements complex technical solutions for data engineering and analytic systems.
- Identifies and solves significant technical problems and architecture deficiencies to include design, security, and performance.
- Collaborates on design reviews by providing feedback on trends and makes recommendations for solutions.
- Breaks down business features and into technical stories and approaches. Influences stakeholders in technical adoption for best solutions.
- Creates proof of concepts and prototypes that drive the vision and the outcome for complex initiatives to be delivered.
- Collaborates with the team and other engineers on new technologies and alternatives to plan and execute complex assignments and tasks.
- Helps on-board entry level engineers. May begin mentoring junior engineers.
- Acquires data from multiple data sources and maintains resulting databases, data warehouses, and/or data lakes.
- Assists to develop, maintain, and enforce the company’s data development tools and standards. Conducts code reviews on a regular basis to improve quality and ensure compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree: OR 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree; OR approved certification from an approved academy in one of the following fields: Web Development, Data Science, Cyber Cloud, Systems Engineering or Software Engineering.
- 4 years of data engineering, data analysis or software development experience implementing data solutions with at least 1 year of data engineering or data management experience.
- Extensive knowledge and working experience in SQL and Relational Databases.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- 6+ years’ experience developing, deploying, and supporting high-quality, fault-tolerant data pipelines (leveraging distributed, data movement technologies and approaches, including but not limited to ETL and streaming ingestion and processing) for building modern data warehouses.
- 2 or more years’ experience utilizing Linux scripting (Python, Shell, etc.)
- 4 or more years’ experience in SQL development and/or NoSQL databases
- 1 or more years’ experience with cloud-based data offerings (Amazon AWS, Redshift, Snowflake, Google GCP, Microsoft Azure)
- Experience with ETL Tools (Informatica, DataStage, Data Build Tool, etc.)
- Design, build, and deploy new data pipelines within Informatica, DBT, Snowflake, Guidewire environments.
- 2 or more years of experience working with Agile Development Methodologies
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective method for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this skill is: $88,200 - $158,900*
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is Not Available for this position.