Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Data Scientist II for our San Antonio facility. This person may also work remotely in a 100% Remote Work Environment.
Within defined guidelines and framework, uses techniques that integrate traditional and non-traditional datasets and method to enable analytical solutions. Applies predictive analytics, machine learning, simulation, and optimization techniques to generate management insights and enable customer-facing applications; participates in building analytical solutions leveraging internal and external applications to deliver value and create competitive advantage. Translates complex analytical and technical concepts to non-technical employees.
The candidate selected for this position will work with the Chief Administrative Office’s Enterprise Data Spoke. As such, we engage in AI/ML modeling efforts for contracting, security, cybersecurity, enterprise risk, IT operations, the innovations office, and other Enterprise offices lacking modeling capability. Much of the work is replacing monotonous tasks with machines achieving returns on investment of 20:1 or higher. We also engaged in state-of-the- research with Universities to deliver new capabilities to the enterprise.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- In partnership with SMEs, learns to define the business problem and works with experienced data scientists to select the appropriate model.
- Extracts features from structured and unstructured data (internal and external).
- With guidance, conducts advanced analytics: predictive modeling, Machine Learning, and optimization.
- Works with Data Engineering/IT partners to develop architectures for new products, services, and features.
- Explains complex models and outcomes to colleagues who are not data scientists.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Quantitative Economics, Statistics, or related field.
- 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 2 years of related experience and accountability for complex tasks and/or projects.
- Proficient knowledge of the function/discipline and demonstrated application of knowledge, skills, and abilities towards work products.
- Proficient level of business acumen in the areas of the business operations, industry practices and emerging trends.
- Strong coding skills in the dominant scripting language (such as Python).
- Deep academic understanding of model assumptions. Solid grasp of statistics and mathematics.
- Proficient knowledge of Data Science principals and experience with data science methodologies.
- When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Natural language processing skills
- Deep learning skills
- Experience with Python and/or R
- The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $66,300 - $119,500* (this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.