Remote - This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The Employees role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basics. In the USA this is an employee who lives more than 100 miles from their designed, Primary worksite
Staff Data Scientist
The Applied Analytics COE team is responsible for developing analytics-driven solutions to help GM Organizations achieve their business goals. The Staff Data Scientist will work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team of various experience levels that will be driving solution design, development, and deployment of analytic models in support of business facing analytic groups. The team is responsible for both advanced analytics strategy and applied, project-based solutions, focusing on the company’s most critical business areas.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Work as a member of a cross-functional team to propose and implement high-impact data and analytic solutions that address business challenges across a variety of business units
- Apply Data Science and Modeling techniques to drive data driven decision making and solve complex business problems:
- Create breakthrough solutions, performing exploratory and targeted data analyses
- Build predictive models and machine-learning algorithms
- Analyze large amounts of diverse information to discover trends and patterns
- Undertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data
- Monitor and sustain model effectiveness
- Combine models through ensemble modeling
- Present complex information using data visualization techniques
- Plan and execute projects, including direction and oversight of technical work of Data Scientists and Senior Data Scientists
- Work with diverse technical teams and provide data and analytic oversight to ensure project deliverables fulfill business needs and timing
- Identify long-term technical innovations and collaborate with the Analytics Research COE
- Act as a mentor to junior level Data Scientists and as an expert level resource for the team
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum seven years of experience developing, deploying and monitoring performance of large analytic data sets and statistical forecasting models
- Minimum seven years of experience utilizing several of the following toolsets:
- Scripting Languages: Python or R
- Machine Learning Libraries: TensorFlow, Scikit-Learn, Spark ML, or equivalent
- Big Data Tools: Hadoop, Spark, SQL and NoSQL Database experience
- Data Visualization: Tableau, Power BI or similar
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects at once without sacrificing quality
- Strong listening and communications skills
- Highly collaborative work style
- Ability to evaluate the big picture and solve business problems rather than focusing solely on metrics
Education and Experience:
- PhD. or Master’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Engineering, Economics, Data Science or other quantitative field
- Preferred academic or work experience in a data-intensive field or industry
- The median level of salary compensation for this role is ($140,000).
- Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance. Benefits:
- Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
This position may be filled with a mid or senior level candidate.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.