San Antonio, Texas
Secondary Locations San Antonio,Texas,;
Job ID R0053244 Date posted 10/21/2020
Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Data Scientist Lead for San Antonio Home Office II/III or Remote Work Location Available.
This role is designated for a Data Scientist Lead who has a solid understanding of model risk standards and processes, as well as hands-on experience taking models through the development and validation process. The Data Scientist Lead is expected to provide technical leadership consisting of mentorship, peer reviews, and guidance to project teams on applications of state-of-the-art advanced analytics methods and data science best practices. The Data Scientist Lead for this role is expected to have expertise in the areas of Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Time Series/Forecasting Modeling.
Data Scientist Lead uses advanced techniques that integrate traditional and non-traditional datasets to enable analytical solutions; Applies predictive analytics, machine learning, simulation, and optimization techniques to generate management insights and enable customer-facing applications; Builds analytical solutions leveraging internal and external applications to deliver value and create competitive advantage; Leads initiatives and influences system architecture to enable automated intelligent solutions; Translates complex analytical and technical concepts to senior management to enable business decisions; Maintains relationships with academic and industry thought-leaders to ensure enterprise has access to cutting-edge thinking and technologies.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Partners with business leaders across the organization to assess business needs, define business problems and develop a research agenda; Leads cross functional, matrixed teams to solve highly complex work critical to the organization.
- Designs and builds large and complex information sets; Integrates and extracts relevant information from large amounts of both structured and unstructured data (internal and external) to enable analytical solutions.
- Leads and conducts advanced analytics leveraging predictive modeling, machine learning, simulation, optimization and other techniques to deliver insights or develop analytical solutions to achieve business objectives.
- Leads efforts to develop scalable, efficient, automated solutions for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation.
- Works with IT to translate prototypes into new products, services, and features and provide guidelines for large-scale implementation.
- Builds and maintains a robust library of reusable algorithms and supporting code such that research efforts are based on the highest quality data, are transparently conducted, are able to be productionized and are reproducible.
- Provides guidance regarding analytical approach and iteration of algorithms to team members.
Translates complex analytical and technical concepts to senior management and non-technical employees to enable understanding and drive informed business decisions.
- Develops and maintains academic and industry relationships for the purposes of research; Interacts with internal and external peers and management to maintain expertise and awareness of cutting-edge techniques, technologies and potential business solutions.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Quantitative Economics, Statistics, or related field or 6 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 or more Years in predictive modeling, large data analysis and computer science.
- Experience in stochastic modeling, machine learning, and other advanced mathematical techniques (e.g., neural nets, simulation, graph analysis)
- Expert in at least one compiled language (e.g., Java, C or more or more) and one dynamic scripting language (Python, PERL, Ruby)
- A strong track record of communicating results, insights, and technical solutions to Senior Executive Management (or equivalent)
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Solid understanding of Model Risk Standards and processes.
- Experience taking models through the model validation process.
- Experience with Natural Language Processing (NLP).
- Experience with time series and forecasting modeling.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 11/04/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.