Location Phoenix, Arizona | San Antonio, Texas | Tampa, Florida | Colorado Springs, Colorado | Chesapeake, Virginia | Secondary Locations San Antonio,Texas;Chesapeake,Virginia;Colorado Springs,Colorado;Phoenix,Arizona;REMOTE,ZZ;Tampa,Florida; Job ID R0048358 Date posted Jun. 08, 2020
Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Decision Science Analyst I. CANDIDATE WILL BE REQUIRED TO WORK IN EITHER THE SAN ANTONIO, TX, HOME OFFICE A REGIONAL OFFICE AND/OR REMOTE MAY BE CONSIDERED
There are Multiple Positions Available
SummaryProvide decision support for business areas across the enterprise. Staff in this area will be responsible for applying mathematical and statistical techniques and/or innovative /quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action' recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change. The essence of work performed by the Decision Science Analyst involves gathering, manipulating and synthesizing data (e.g., attributes, transactions, behaviors, etc.), models and other relevant information to draw conclusions and make recommendations resulting in implementable strategies.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Leverages business/analytical knowledge to participate in discussions with cross functional teams to understand and collaborate on business objectives and influence solution strategies.
- The business problems analyzed are typically medium to large scale with impact to current and/or future business strategy.
- Applies innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action' recommendations to answer the business objective and drive the appropriate change.
- Translates recommendation into communication materials to effectively present to colleagues for peer review and mid-to-upper level management.
- Incorporates visualization techniques to support the relevant points of the analysis and ease the understanding for less technical audiences.
- Identifies and gathers the relevant and quality data sources required to fully answer and address the problem for the recommended strategy through testing or exploratory data analysis (EDA).
- Integrates/transforms disparate data sources and determines the appropriate data hygiene techniques to apply.
- Thoroughly documents assumptions, methodology, validation and testing to facilitate peer reviews.
- Subsequent analysts should be able to rely on documentation to replicate and continue work.
- Understands and adopts emerging technology that can affect the application of scientific methodologies and/or quantitative analytical approaches to problem resolutions.
- Delivers analysis/findings in a manner that conveys understanding, influences mid to upper level management, garners support for recommendations, drives business decisions, and influences business strategy.
- Recommendations typically have an impact on business results.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences or other quantitative discipline or 4 years’ work experience in statistics, mathematics or quantitative analytics or related experience can be substituted in lieu of a degree in addition to the minimum years of work experience required (8yrs total experience in lieu of a degree)
A Master's Degree in quantitative analytics or a related field
A PhD in quantitative analytics or a related field
- If Bachelor's degree, 4 or more years’ experience in a decision support analytic function
If Master's Degree, 2 or more years’ experience in a decision support analytic function
If PhD, 1 or more years’ experience in a decision support analytic function
- Demonstrates competency in mathematical and statistical techniques and approaches used to drive fact-based decision-making
- Successful completion of a job-related assessment may be required
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects, manage competing priorities and prioritize workflow
- Experience with emerging analytical techniques and ability to learn new techniques quickly
- Experience managing internal metrics, data, and business intelligence strategies
- Experience designing business experiments to support a test and learn methodology
- Demonstrated ability to share data driven insights and influence business decisions/results
- Experience working with SAS, SQL, R, Python, Tableau or other analysis software
- Strong relationship management and negotiation skills; ability to influence senior leadership and drive business results
- P&C and/or Claims experience is welcomed (not a requirement for candidacy)
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 6/14/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.