Location San Antonio, Texas | Colorado Springs, Colorado | Phoenix, Arizona | Tampa, Florida Job ID R0056848 Date posted 01/22/2021
Purpose of Job
WE ARE SEEKING A TALENTED DECISION SCIENCE ANALYST I. THE CANDIDATE MAY WORK FROM THE SAN ANTONIO, HOME OFFICE/ANY REGIONAL OFFICE AND/OR A 100% REMOTE WORK ENVIRONMENT WILL BE CONSIDERED
Provide decision support for business areas across the enterprise. Staff in this area will be responsible for applying mathematical and statistical techniques and/or innovative /quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action' recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change. The essence of work performed by the Decision Science Analyst involves gathering, manipulating and synthesizing data (e.g., attributes, transactions, behaviors, etc.), models and other relevant information to draw conclusions and make recommendations resulting in implementable strategies.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Leverages business/analytical knowledge to participate in discussions with cross functional teams to understand and collaborate on business objectives and influence solution strategies.
- The business problems analyzed are typically medium to large scale with impact to current and/or future business strategy.
- Applies innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action' recommendations to answer the business objective and drive the appropriate change.
- Translates recommendation into communication materials to effectively present to colleagues for peer review and mid-to-upper level management.
- Incorporates visualization techniques to support the relevant points of the analysis and ease the understanding for less technical audiences.
- Identifies and gathers the relevant and quality data sources required to fully answer and address the problem for the recommended strategy through testing or exploratory data analysis (EDA).
- Integrates/transforms disparate data sources and determines the appropriate data hygiene techniques to apply.
- Thoroughly documents assumptions, methodology, validation and testing to facilitate peer reviews.
- Subsequent analysts should be able to rely on documentation to replicate and continue work.
- Understands and adopts emerging technology that can affect the application of scientific methodologies and/or quantitative analytical approaches to problem resolutions.
- Delivers analysis/findings in a manner that conveys understanding, influences mid to upper level management, garners support for recommendations, drives business decisions, and influences business strategy.
- Recommendations typically have an impact on business results.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences or other quantitative discipline OR 4 years work experience in statistics, mathematics or quantitative analytics or related experience can be substituted in lieu of a degree in addition to the minimum years of work experience required (8yrs total experience in lieu of a degree)
A Master's Degree in quantitative analytics or a related field
A PhD in quantitative analytics or a related field
- If Bachelor's degree, 4 or more years’ experience in a decision support analytic function.
If Master's Degree, 2 or more years’ experience in a decision support analytic function.
If PhD, 1 or more years’ experience in a decision support analytic function
- Demonstrates competency in mathematical and statistical techniques and approaches used to drive fact-based decision-making
- Successful completion of a job-related assessment may be required
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Prior digital marketing analytical experience in Insurance or Banking; knowledge of marketing analytical process and measurement framework
- Ability to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision
- Strong relationship management and negotiation skills; ability to influence senior leadership and drive business results
- Experience implementing emerging technology and techniques for analytical purposes
- Testing experience – designing, leading, executing, and analyzing results.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $66,300 - $119,500
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 1/28/21 by 11:59 pm CST time.