Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Decision Science Analyst II for either our San Antonio Home Office, Plano Campus, Phoenix Campus, Charlotte Campus, Colorado Springs Campus, Tampa Campus, or 100% Remote Work Environment.
Provide analytic and machine learning model support for business areas across the enterprise. Staff in this role will be responsible for applying mathematical and statistical techniques and/or innovative /quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make ‘insight to action’ recommendations to improve business outcomes. This role will also provide support for in-development and in-production machine learning models by wrangling data, helping to develop and execute monitoring plans, ensure model performance, and make adjustments and improvements to model structure as needed.
Provide decision support for business areas across the enterprise. Staff in this area will be responsible for applying mathematical and statistical techniques and/or innovative /quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action' recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change. The essence of work performed by the Decision Science Analyst involves gathering, manipulating and synthesizing data (e.g., attributes, transactions, behaviors, etc.), models and other relevant information to draw conclusions and make recommendations resulting in implementable strategies.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Leverages intermediate business, analytical and technical knowledge to participate in discussions with cross functional teams to understand and collaborate on business objectives and influence solution strategies.
- Applies advanced analytical techniques to solve business problems that are typically medium to large scale with impact to current and/or future business strategy.
- Applies scientific/quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action' recommendations to answer the business objective and drive the appropriate change.
- Translates recommendation into communication materials to effectively present to colleagues for peer review and senior/lead analysts.
- Incorporates visualization techniques to support the relevant points of the analysis and ease the understanding for less technical audiences.
- Supports identifying and gathering the relevant and quality data sources required to fully answer and address the problem for the recommended strategy through testing or exploratory data analysis (EDA).
- Thoroughly documents assumptions, methodology, validation and testing to facilitate peer reviews and compliance requirements.
- Adopts emerging technology that can affect the application of scientific methodologies and/or quantitative analytical approaches to problem resolutions.
- Delivers analysis/findings in a manner that conveys understanding, influences up to mid level management, garners support for recommendations, drives business decisions, and influences business strategy.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Bachelor's degree in quantitative analytics field such as Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences, Operations Research, Data and/or Business Analysis, Data Science or other quantitative discipline; OR 4 years of related experience in statistics, mathematics or quantitative analytics (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 2 years of experience in data/analytics or functional business experience within the respective industry of responsibility (i.e. P&C, Bank, Finance)
Advanced degree in quantitative analytics field such as Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences, Operations Research, Data and/or Business Analysis, Data Science or other quantitative discipline.
- Demonstrates intermediate knowledge of mathematical and statistical techniques and approaches used to drive fact-based decision-making.
- Intermediate knowledge of data analysis tools, data visualization, developing analysis queries and procedures in SQL, SAS, BI tools or other analysis software, and relevant industry data & methods and ability to connect external insights to business problems.
- Familiarity with basic machine learning techniques, such as linear and logistic regression, gradient boosted trees, and random forests.
- Exposure to machine learning validation and/or performance modeling, especially in a financial services setting.
- Ability to work closely and independently with IT and business partners.
- Exposure to manipulating non-structured data, such as natural language or images.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $60,300 - $108,600 *(this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location).
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.