Director, Data Scientist - Auto/Property with Telematics (100% Remote Available)
Location San Antonio, Texas Secondary Locations San Antonio,Texas,; Job ID R0054563 Date posted 11/18/2020
Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Director, Data Scientist (100% Remote Available) for the San Antonio Home Office I.
USAA is looking for an experienced Director of Data Science to help drive the future of our Actuarial Modeling, Research and Data Sciences team. In this role, you'll manage the build and implementation of impactful and scalable solutions to solve a variety of product and pricing problems across our P&C Personal Lines organization. You will help architect, design and build algorithms using big data and highly scalable data science technologies to drive business value. You’ll be working alongside our Actuarial Modeling and Research teams from ideation to deployment, rapidly researching and testing new, innovative approaches to loss cost modeling, member segmentation and other big data problems. The ideal candidate will be able to jump in and work alongside their team to build and test proposed solutions in personal lines auto, property and customer domains all while providing thought leadership and continuous improvement of our predictive performance of our loss cost platforms.
Leads a team of Data Scientists responsible for advanced analytical solutions that include predictive analytics, machine learning, simulation, and optimization techniques to that generate management insights and enable customer-facing applications. Utilizes technical acumen and in-depth understanding of business processes and practices to influence the creation and execution of operational and strategic plans. Partners with IT and other areas to build major improvements to analytical processes and systems. Advises Senior Leadership on the development of data science solutions and long term goals and or strategies. Maintains relationships with academic and industry thought-leaders to ensure the enterprise has access to cutting-edge thinking and technologies.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Collaborates with other analytical leaders to fulfill the strategic direction of the business through data and information exploration, research of emerging technologies or analytical techniques and long-term defined/project specific strategic assignments.
- Oversees and executes the exploration of promising new technologies, analytical methods and data sources (internal to USAA & external) that have potential to add value to the enterprise.
- Partners with enterprise analytical and IT teams to build USAA core capabilities and processes.
- Identifies additional resource needs ranging from IT investments, 3rd party support or additional analysts.
- Understands the business direction, environment and strategies, to identify and recommend solutions that influence decision makers and drive change.
- Directs the design and construction of large and complex data sets from large amounts of structured and unstructured data (internal and external) to enable analytical solutions.
- Builds and leads a high performing team of experts in advanced analytics. Develops team reputation as highly skilled experts in the field of data science.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Quantitative Economics, Statistics, or related field.
- 6 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 or more years of experience in predictive modeling, large data analysis and computer science
- 3 or more years of direct management experience
- Experience in stochastic modeling, machine learning, and other advanced mathematical techniques (e.g., neural nets, simulation, graph analysis)
- Expert in at least one compiled language (e.g., Java, C) and one dynamic scripting language (e.g., Python, PERL, Ruby)
- A strong track record of communicating results, insights, and technical solutions to Senior Executive Management (or equivalent)
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Expertise in telematics, behavior/usage-based insurance or internet of things. Ideal candidate has significant experience in processing and modeling from streaming sensor data.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical methods, mathematics, and AI/ML algorithms including traditional general linear model (GLM) family models (including linear and logistic), tree-based methods (random forest, gradient boosted models), deep learning methods (neural networks, etc.), and general optimization methods (e.g., gradient descent, etc.).
- Time series modeling expertise
- Knowledge in model performance evaluation techniques, metrics and validations strategies (nested-cross-validation, etc.).
- Expert in data visualization using Python/R and Tableau
- Ability to communicate ideas and results to key decision makers
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 12/3/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.