Purpose of Job
USAA is looking for an experienced Decision Science Analyst Leader to help drive the future of our Actuarial Modeling, Research and Data Sciences team. In this role, you'll help drive the build, implementation and integration of impactful and scalable solutions to solve a variety of product and pricing problems across our P&C Personal Lines organization. You will be responsible for architecting, designing and building solutions using big data and highly scalable data science technologies to drive business value. You’ll be working alongside our Actuarial Modeling and Research and Data Science teams from ideation to deployment, rapidly researching and testing new, innovative approaches to loss cost modeling, member segmentation and other big data problems. The ideal candidate will be highly technical (experienced with predictive modeling, machine learning, fluent in Python, etc.), an excellent problem solver and able to jump in and work with the teams to drive value in the personal lines auto, property and customer domains.
Leads and develops a highly analytical staff that provides decision support for business areas across the enterprise. By serving as a strategic partner to the business this function will be responsible for applying mathematical and statistical techniques and/or innovative /quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action' recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- As a strategic partner, collaborates or participates with other analytical leaders in executing the strategic direction of the business using mathematical and statistical techniques and/or innovative/quantitative analytical approaches.
- Builds and manages a strong decision science analytical team.
- Establishes performance objectives and provides ongoing feedback and coaching.
- Maintains high team morale.
- Develops team reputation as highly skilled experts in the area of decision science support.
- Oversees and coordinates analytical tasks which include the evaluation of the business problem, analytical methodology, validation, documentation and presentation of findings and recommendations.
- Will also include development and delivery of analytical tools.
- Monitors, understands and adopts emerging technology that can affect the application of scientific methodologies and/or quantitative analytical approaches to problem resolutions.
- Identify additional resources needs ranging from IT investments, 3rd party support or additional analysts.
- Provide business rationale and justification for additional needs.
- Understands the business direction, environment and strategies, to identify and recommend solutions which influence the business and drive change.
- Partners with enterprise analytics teams to build USAA core analytics capabilities and processes.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences or other quantitative discipline.
- 4 additional years work experience in statistics, mathematics or quantitative analytics or related experience can be substituted in lieu of a degree in addition to the minimum years of work experience required. OR A Master's Degree in quantitative analytics or a related field OR A PhD in quantitative analytics or a related field.
- If Bachelor's degree, 8 or more years experience in a decision support analytic function OR If Master's Degree, 6 or more years experience in a decision support analytic function OR If PhD, 5 or more years experience in a decision support analytic function
- 3 or more years of direct and/or indirect management experience.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Proven analytics translator resulting in business value
- Proven relationship builder enabling analytics consumption
- Experience with 3rd party data solutions and providers
- Expert in application of predictive models in Property & Casualty
- Expert with business process mapping and analytic strategy
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $117,600 - $211,700.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 2/18/21 by 11:59 pm CST time.