Niche is the leader in school search. Our mission is to make researching and enrolling in schools easy, transparent, and free. With in-depth profiles on every school and college in America, 140 million reviews and ratings, and powerful search tools, we help millions of people find the right school for them. We also help thousands of schools recruit more best-fit students, by highlighting what makes them great and making it easier to visit and apply.
Niche is all about finding where you belong, and that mission inspires how we operate every day. We want Niche to be a place where people truly enjoy working and can thrive professionally.
About The Role
Join a small team that is building Niche’s data warehouse from the ground up. Build scalable, enterprise grade data pipelines while participating in architecture design and learning industry best practices.
What You Will Do
During the First Month:
- Learn about Niche by meeting with various team members to learn more about our company through our onboarding meetings
- Work with Data team members to learn about our data, data structure, and how your role fits within the team, the Tech department, and Niche
- Shadow multiple roles to see how a data engineer could help with their everyday work
Within 3 Months:
- Begin to examine data team processes and execute enhancements where needed
- Participate in code reviews
- Become a regular participant in bi-weekly back-end and infrastructure meetings
- Identify all sources of data being ingested across Niche
- Gather business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
Within 6 Months:
- Work with your manager to identify tasks/projects within the Data team that fit your interests, leverage your skill sets, and align with Niche’s goals
- Build data workflows, pipelines, and tools for internal teams
- Develop a plan for implementing data engineering tasks across Niche
Within 12 Months:
- Own data engineering processes
- Work with your manager to figure out a vision and strategy for the team
- Participate in hiring
- Contribute to product teams, when needed.
What We Are Looking For
- 1-2 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or relevant professional experience
- Professional experience building workflows to ETL data
- Advanced knowledge of relational databases & data modeling
- Advanced knowledge of coding languages (Python, SQL) and best practices
- Continuous learner who wants to learn and grow with the position and company
- Can handle multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced, startup environment
Experience you will gain
- Experience with cloud computing/platform and cloud data warehouses, Google Analytics, or Salesforce, AWS ecosystem, Snowflake.
- DBT (Data Build Tool)
- Metadata Driven Data Warehouse principles, process automation and dynamic source to target pipelines.
Are you excited about the position and its responsibilities, but hesitant because your experience doesn't align 100% with the posted requirements? We believe you are more than a resume, so go for it! You won’t want to miss the opportunity to play a part in helping students find where they belong.
- We are a fully flexible workforce empowering our employees to choose to work remotely, in our Pittsburgh office or whatever combination suits you
- Full time, salaried position with competitive compensation in a fast-growing company
- Best-in-class 100% paid employee health plan, including vision and dental and supplemental coverage
- Flexible Paid Time Off Policy
- Free unlimited mental health consultations so you can prioritize you and your family’s mental wellbeing
- Stipend that allows you to build your work from home office in a style and function that suits your personal preferences
- Professional Development stipend each year for continuous learning and growth
- Ability to join our diversity committee (Niche Diversity Initiative) to shape company-wide programs and events
- Parental leave for all employees (12 weeks fully paid) in addition to short term disability for birthing parents
Meaningful Stock options and 401(k) with employer match
- Your ideas and work will make an immediate impact on our company and millions of users
- You will join a team that cares about you, our mission, our work - and celebrates our wins together!
Niche will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future for this opening.
We are currently hiring in states where we currently have employees: AZ, CA, CT, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MO, NE, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, DC.
Candidates only. No recruiters or agencies, please. Sorry, we do not offer relocation assistance.
Niche is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
All interviews are being held remotely. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.