Khan Academy is looking for a Group Manager of Analytics to lead our Analytics function, which is part of our larger research team that also includes Efficacy & Research, as well as, Business Data Engineering. We’re a small team with big dreams, and we’re only just getting started. We have some of the richest educational data in the world, and we want to leverage that data to develop a clearer picture of who our users are, how they are using our products, how product use impacts learning, and how we could better serve them on their educational journey.
We’re looking for an experienced leader who is excited to drive transformative change through insightful analysis and by cultivating a data-driven culture. Your track record and deep expertise in both analytics and people management will allow you to drive significant impact both through your own insightful analyses and by guiding and coaching a team of rock-star data analysts.
Khan Academy launched multiple new educational product offerings supported by key high profile partnerships, which we hope to establish us as a central pillar of the US (and soon global) education system. These offerings have the potential to transform education, and their success critically depends on our ability to leverage data to drive insights on what is working well, for whom, and what we can improve. You will play a critical role in realizing this vision.
1) Manage the Analytics team, which is responsible for:
- Empowering other teams with data insights: Manage Analysts who work with the leadership, product, content and marketing teams (and others) to bring data to their fingertips. Each Analyst is embedded into a department and is responsible for providing that department with analyses and proactive data-driven recommendations. Analysts ensure insights have a meaningful impact on product and strategy.
2) Enable a data-driven culture:
- Be another voice in insights and support of data-driven decision making within the organization
- Find creative and insightful ways to publish and promote how we’re performing on key metrics to the entire organization, as well as, our Board of Directors.
- Provide ongoing support for the Analytics team in their professional growth, as it relates to further developing their technical skills (e.g., statistical modeling and predictive modeling required, learning engineering, learning analytics, data science, and machine learning preferred).
- Conduct ad hoc analyses for senior leaders
3) Play an integral role in new initiatives and projects across the organization:
- Support head of Efficacy, Research, & Analytics to ensure there is strong analytics input into the evaluation and prioritization of new opportunities
- Support Analysts in helping to set the goals and define the evaluation methodology for each initiative.
- Support Analysts in provide objective evaluations post implementation.
- Support Analysts with code reviews.
YOU MAY BE A GOOD FIT IF
- A passion for Khan Academy’s vision
- 8+ years experience in Data Science or Product Analytics
- 3+ years of team manager experience including managing teams of 4+ employees with a mixture of people who typically work in the office and those who work distributed (from home offices).
- 8+ years of experience in data science, product analytics, statistics, or related field
- Advanced SQL and strong statistical foundations with expertise in at least one statistical package (R or Python preferred) for analysis and predictive modeling. Candidates who also have experience with machine learning, learning engineering, learning analytics, or data science are preferred.
- Experience across the entire analytics chain: instrumentation, logging, data modeling, BI tools and dashboards, various analysis and modeling techniques, etc.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, visual). Must be able to work and translate needs with Engineering, Product teams, Marketing, Learning Science, and Senior Leaders.
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life