There are over 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more... many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we're all about at John Deere. And it's why we're investing in our people and our technology like never before! Here the world's brightest minds are tackling the world's biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we'll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Primary Location: United States (US) - Iowa - Urbandale
Function: Data & Analytics (CA)
Title: Staff Data Scientist-Remote
As a Staff Data Scientist for John Deere’s Intelligent Services Group (ISG), you will join a team leveraging petabyte-scale datasets for advanced analytics and model building to enable intelligent, automated equipment and improved decisions by farmers. Our team partners with product managers and data engineers to design, scale, and deliver full stack data science solutions. Join a passionate team making a difference by applying innovative technology to solve some of the world's biggest problems. As a Staff Data Scientist, you will be responsible for helping to lead and mentor other junior and mid-level scientists. Something such as this will help folks in the marketplace to understand the leveling of the role. You will:
- Project level responsibility over initiatives that involve mining techniques to analyze high resolution machine and agronomic data in the development and testing of production-ready predictive models.
- Lead the establishment and prioritization of relevant Engineering action items needed to ensure data is stored efficiently and can support the required analytics.
- Manage yourself and up to several other employees in an Agile work environment that contains requirement ambiguity, tight deadlines, and competing priorities.
- Work directly with stakeholders to define, quantify, and analyze Key Performance Indicators that define successful customer outcomes for your efforts.
What Skills You Need (Required skills/experiences)
- Mastery of and ability to mentor others in developing production-ready models in Python.
- Solid ability to mentor others in using one or more data-access technologies such as SQL, Spark, Databricks, BigQuery, MongoDB, etc.
- Expertise and ability to mentor others in building machine learning models such as regression, supervised learning, unsupervised learning, probabilistic inference, natural language modeling, etc.
- Demonstrated competency with Visualization tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, DataStudio, etc.
- Demonstrated competency with Data Modeling techniques such as normalization, data quality and coverage assessment, attribute analysis, performance management, etc.
- Professional level communication skills. Able to effectively lead meetings, to document work for reproduction, to write persuasively, to communicate proof-of-concepts, present results, and to effectively take notes.
What Makes You Stand Out (Desired skills/experiences)
- Examples of professional work such as publications, patents, a portfolio of relevant project-work, etc.
- Familiarity working with and modeling some of the largest distributed datasets in the world
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of data structures such as time-series, geo-tagged, text, structured, and unstructured.
- Demonstrated ability creating simulations such as Monte Carlo simulation, Gibbs sampling, etc.
- Demonstrated ability leading model validation, measuring model bias, measuring model drift, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with stakeholders from disciplines such as Product, Sales, Finance, etc.
- Ability to communicate complex analytical insights in a manner which is clearly understandable by nontechnical audiences.
Ideally you will have a degree or equivalent related work experience in the following:
- Experience equivalent to 10 years in a related field or
- Having a Doctorate degree in a related area of study (e.g., Data Science, Quantitative Sciences, Statistics, Engineering, Mathematics, etc.) and 3 years of relevant work experience or
- Having a Master’s degree in a related area of study and 5 years of relevant work experience or
- Having or a Bachelor’s degree in a related area and 7 years of relevant work experience
What You'll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go while working in an inclusive team environment. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. Additionally, we offer a comprehensive reward package to help you get started on your new career path, including:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Highly competitive base pay and performance bonuses
- Savings & Retirement benefits (401K and Defined Benefit Pension)
- Healthcare benefits with a generous company contribution in the Health Savings Account
- Adoption assistance
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Tuition assistance
- Fitness subsidies and on-site gyms at specific Deere locations
- Charitable contribution match
- Employee Purchase Plan & numerous discount programs for personal use
Click Here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
The terms of the applicable benefit plans, and all company actions administering or interpreting these plans, continue to control. Deere & Company reserves the right to suspend, amend, modify, or terminate the Plan(s) in any manner at any time, including the right to modify or eliminate any cost-sharing between the company and participants. Changes, which can be made at any time, are made by action of the company's board of directors, or to the extend authorized by resolution of its board of directors, or by the Deere & Company Compensation Committee. In the event of a conflict between the language of the official Plan Documents and this document, the language of the official Plan Documents will control.
ACA Section 1557 Nondiscrimination Notice
The John Deere Health Benefit Plans for Salaried and Wage Employees comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.