Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Data Engineer to join our team.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform and a relentless focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselves—one that behaves like a doctor in the family.
The Data Platform team is responsible for the developing tools for data users across Oscar Health. We remove data silos, democratize data, and empower data scientists, operations, engineers, and our partners to make data-driven decisions.
As a Data Engineer on the Data Platform team, you will play a leading role in building a secure data platform to tackle the challenges around orchestration, resource management, and building tools and ML frameworks for data scientists and engineers. You are someone that has strong technical chops that wants to democratize data across the organization. You are happy to mentor and guide data users on best practices. You are a problem solver, with a track record of building highly scalable data pipelines and distributed systems.
You will report to an Associate Director of Data Engineering. This is a remote / work-from-home role. You must reside in one of the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, or Washington. Note, this list of states is subject to change. #LI-Remote
- Design and implement platform services, frameworks, and data workflows for data scientists, ML Engineers, and operational teams
- Develop and socialize technical solutions and frameworks that the broader data science and engineering teams can leverage to ship production-hardened data products at increasing scale and velocity
- Drive efficiency and reliability improvements through design and automation: performance, scaling, observability, and monitoring
- Identify limitations and required features in the Data Platform with peer teams to design and implement them
- You have 3+ years of relevant work experience OR a Master’s degree in a quantitative field plus 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Proficiency in Python and object-oriented design
- Experience developing large-scale data management systems
- Proficient in ETL and data warehousing best practices
- You have experience proposing, experimenting, and iterating, whether it be a new shiny technology or an arcane, ill-conceived data structure; our company may be new, but the health industry isn’t!
- You have experience with technical contributions, improving the quality of what you create, and are excited to build fault-tolerant, and scalable software systems
- Familiar with data platform technologies such as data lakes, data warehouses, MLOps, metadata management, and access controls
This is an authentic Oscar Health job opportunity. Learn more about how you can safeguard yourself from recruitment fraud here.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We aim to make health care affordable and accessible for all, and apply this same vision to our perks and benefits, including: medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
To protect the health and safety of our employees, we require any employee conducting in-person work* to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to medical or protected religious reasons, please reach out to our Benefits team at email@example.com to submit an accommodations request.
*Note: In-person work includes: employees required to work from our offices, employees conducting sales work in the field and employees conducting at-home or in-person visits with members.