Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring Data Scientists to join our team.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform and a relentless focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselves—one that behaves like a doctor in the family.
About the role:
Oscar is restructuring health care to make it easy, affordable, and seamless for consumers to access high value care. Oscar’s data team is focused on pushing our understanding of this complex landscape. Insurance companies sit on a trove of data that is both broad and deep, spanning financial claims, clinical medical records, and rich product interaction data from our members. Connecting the dots across these datasets gives us unique insight into how the healthcare system functions and allows us to improve care coordination, better manage risk, build higher-performing provider networks, and create a standout consumer experience in our product. At Oscar, we are looking for bright and curious data minded individuals to join our team of 30+ researchers, data scientists, and analysts to leverage our efforts!
We are looking for several new Data team members to join us on a few of our workstreams. By applying to this posting, you will be considered for a top-priority open position within the Data team; a specific role and manager will be determined during the hiring process based on the highest priority need.
You will report into a data science leader (Associate Director or above). This is a remote / work-from-home role. You must reside in one of the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, or Washington. Note, this list of states is subject to change. #LI-Remote
As a Data Scientist at Oscar you will:
- Create strong partnerships with internal teams at Oscar to build out and leverage key data science insights that directly impact our members
- Discover, understand, and organize disparate data sources and structure them into clean data models that unlock self-service analytics for internal teams
- Work with stakeholders to evaluate existing programs and drive improvements through data-driven methods, as well as support the development of data-driven hypotheses
- Use statistics and machine learning to explain and predict key aspects of our business
Your specific responsibilities will be determined by the particular role.
- You have 2+ years of relevant work experience or a Master’s degree in a quantitative field; we encourage you to apply if you have more experience as well as we are hiring for multiple levels of Data Scientists within the team
- You use data science tools like SQL and Python
- You’re excited about being (or becoming) a decision-maker, not just an analyst
- You know when to look outside the data to solve problems
- Knowledge of or previous work experience in health care, health economics, or health insurance
This is an authentic Oscar Health job opportunity. Learn more about how you can safeguard yourself from recruitment fraud here.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We aim to make health care affordable and accessible for all, and apply this same vision to our perks and benefits, including: medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
To protect the health and safety of our employees, we require any employee conducting in-person work* to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to medical or protected religious reasons, please reach out to our Benefits team at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit an accommodations request.
*Note: In-person work includes: employees required to work from our offices, employees conducting sales work in the field and employees conducting at-home or in-person visits with members.