GEICO is more than insurance, it’s truly a tech company at heart. GEICO's IT Organization is rapidly expanding to keep up with its growth in the digital space.
GEICO is seeking a Principal Data Architect with data architecture and engineering experience in areas such as data ingestion, data transformation, data analytics, data platform, data management, data security, and AI/ML. The Principal Data Architect will have deep expertise in the Architecture areas above and have broad understanding of cross-cutting concerns. The Principal Data Architect will play a critical role in the establishing consistent standards, patterns and practices across Architecture disciplines to support product, delivery and value stream.
A Principal Data Architect will be an expert in data architecture with a strong understanding of solution design for cloud and distributed data systems as well as a strong understanding of design practices, principles and patterns. Our Principal Data Architects are seasoned technical professionals who are responsible for architecting and designing scalable, extensible, and comprehensive data eco-system to support GEICO’s overall data strategy. They provide thought leadership to data engineering and product teams, and provide guidance, review and approval to support cross-domain initiatives. They have strong knowledge of various architectural models and best practices, and strong technical and engineering discipline.
As a Principal Data Architect, you will:
- Lead the development of current and target state data eco-system architectures covering all aspects of data including data ingestion, data transformation, data analytics, data platform, data management, data security, and AI/ML
- Provide business, data, application and technology thought leadership in discussions with engineering team members and business partners; provide approval on initiatives / designs
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to engineering teams for data architectures and design
- Lead the technical review of 3rd party software packages
- Act as a liaison with other architects (security, infrastructure, platform, etc.). and with delivery teams working primarily in an Agile (Scrum/Kanban) manner
- Influence at multiple levels on highly technical issues and challenges and gain buy in
- Translate data needs to data architecture designs and create design diagrams with supporting documentation
- Ensure recommended architectural designs and patterns are adhered to as part of delivery
- Provide design deliverables which can be estimated by the appropriate implementation teams
- Lead Build vs Buy Analysis and POCs
- Author white papers to provide a viewpoint on new and emerging solutions and industry trends
- Create and own design patterns (logical and physical), best practices and policies for their area.
- Create controls for compliance
- Provide POC for new capabilities and patterns
- Knowledge of Azure and/or AWS tools with relevant certifications such as Azure Solutions Architect, AWS Solutions Architect. Must have demonstrated proficiency in how cloud service offerings support data solutions
- Knowledge of various data architecture patterns including OLTP, data warehousing, data lake and distributed data systems
- Knowledge of data governance, data quality and data security
- Strong writing skills and thought leadership
- Ability to influence through persuasion within the data area
- Ability to create a set of requirements in partnership with their customers and to ensure solutions map to the goals of the organization and customer needs
- Strong problem-solving skills – ability to see past the immediate answer to the simple, elegant solution
- Ability to see and implement patterns that enable solution simplification
- Innovative thought leadership
- 8+ years of architecture or engineering experience in building data pipelines, ETLs, data platforms, data products, distributed data systems or AI/ML
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience designing successful enterprise capabilities, systems and products
- 5+ years of experience with programming languages such as .NET, C#, Java, Python, SQL, etc.
- 3+ years of experience with agile methods, developing end-to-end lifecycle software management, integration testing, and CI/CD automation tools
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field (or equivalent verifiable experience, skillset and track record of success)
At GEICO, we make sure you have the support and resources to leverage and develop your skills, secure your financial future, and take care of your health and well-being. GEICO continually seeks to provide a workplace where everyone can be their authentic self. To help achieve this goal, we support associate-led Employee Resource Groups that foster a true sense of community. Through GEICO’s competitive benefits offerings and various training and development opportunities, we have you covered with our Total Rewards Program* that includes:
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan
- Tuition Assistance including Direct Billing and Reimbursement payment plan options
- Paid Training, Licensures, and Certificates
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins with the pay period after hire date. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The safety of our associates, both current and future, is GEICO’s highest priority. At this time, most of our associates are working remotely due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates who are selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area.
GEICO is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultivating an environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO celebrates diversity and believes it is critical to our success. As such, we are committed to recruit, develop and retain the most talented individuals to join our team.