About the team
Join our industry-leading Economic Research team bringing innovative analysis, creativity and excellence to the U.S. housing market. We build, productionalize, analyze, and share a full suite of housing data products and analysis for an audience inside and outside of Zillow. Our work contextualizes Zillow’s unparalleled living database of all homes and hundreds of millions of customers to provide insight to everyday consumers and open data to hundreds of researchers and policymakers across the country. You’ll work in an informal, fun, collaborative atmosphere with a dynamic team with a diverse range of interests and skills.
Learn more about what we are doing at https://www.zillow.com/research
About the role
Zillow's Economic Forecasting Team is looking for a curious Sr. Manager who has a passion for applying creative economic thinking to business problems and solves them systematically with mathematical models. As part of this role, you will:
- Own and improve forward looking simulations and forecasts of home prices, inventories, sales for 10,000s of geographies
- Identify areas across the company where better forecasting of economic factors can help improve business decision making
- Drive the vision on best practices in forecasting and actively evangelize them across the organization
- Continue to build and develop our outstanding team to address the challenges of Zillow 2.0 with better forecasting
- Communicate regular forecast updates and insights to business, finance, and partner analytics teams
- Work closely with our data product, content, and engineering teams to make use of the most appropriate data and engineering tools for our forecasting systems
This role has been categorized as a Remote position. “Remote” employees do not have a permanent corporate office workplace and, instead, work from a physical location of their choice which must be identified to the Company. Employees may live in any of the 50 US States, with limited exceptions. In certain cases, an employee in a remote-designated job may need to live in a specific region or time zone to support customers or clients as part of their role.
Who you are
The Senior Economist Manager will develop a deep understanding of our mission, data sources, and metrics. The ideal candidate will enjoy collaborating with business partners, learning about the problems they face, and translating them into models. You will make data driven recommendations and have the drive to succeed in a self-starting environment where you can innovate with a high degree of freedom and make a large business impact. You will ideally have:
- An advanced degree (PhD preferred) in economics, finance, statistics, or other quantitative subject area
- Passion for better understanding the relationship between real estate markets, financial markets, and the real macro-economy
- 5+ years of work experience in a fast paced environment that systematically provided forecasts as a business critical input; 2+ years experience leading applied science/economics teams
- Deep expertise in applied forecasting models (econometric time series models, tree-based methods, etc.)
- Confirmed knowledge of either Python or R and some familiarity with SQL
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Experiencing working cross-functionally between business, tech, and science teams
Get to know us
Zillow Group, the largest portfolio of real estate brands on mobile and the web, is building a safe, on-demand real estate experience. Whether selling, buying, renting or financing, customers can turn to Zillow's businesses to find and get into their next home with speed, certainty and ease.We are on a mission to help people unlock their next chapter and are building transformational tools and services that create an on-demand real estate transaction experience. Millions of people visit Zillow Group sites every month to start their home search, and now they can rely on Zillow to help them finish it — and no matter what job you're in, you will play a critical role in making this vision a reality.At Zillow Group, we're powered by our inclusive work culture, where everyone has the support and resources to do the best work of their careers. Our efforts to streamline the real estate transaction is supported by our passion to empower people and enrich lives around everything home, a deep-rooted culture of innovation, a fundamental commitment to Equity and Belonging, and world-class benefits. But, don't just take our word for it. Read our reviews on Glassdoor and recent recognition from multiple organizations, including: Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Corporate Equity Index, Fortune Best Workplaces for Technology, Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials, Fortune Best Workplaces for Parents, Fatherly's Best Workplaces for New Dads, JUST Capital 100 Company, and the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index constituent.
Zillow Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.