Dropbox is now a Virtual First company, which means work outside of an office will be the primary experience for all employees. Being Virtual First also means the location of our employees is targeted but flexible. If “Location Flexible” is listed in the job title of a role, the role can be located in any of the states where Dropbox is authorized to do business.** Some roles (including those which do not have “Location Flexible” in the job title), however, may have to be co-located with their teams in certain locations. Please work with your recruiter and your hiring manager to understand any location constraints of a particular role and to communicate your location preferences.
**Dropbox is authorized to do business in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Dropbox is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where Dropbox is registered.
Dropbox is one place to keep life organized and keep work moving. With more than 600 million registered users across 180 countries, we’re on a mission to design a more enlightened way of working. Dropbox is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, and has offices around the world. For more information on our mission and products, visit dropbox.com.
Our Product team advocates for our users and our business, setting the vision for our growing family of products. We use data, research, strategy, and empathy to guide multidisciplinary teams toward a common goal, balancing diverse perspectives and empowering our teams to do great work. As we scale globally, there’s plenty of space for you to grow alongside us and simplify life for millions of people around the world in team that always focuses on we, not I, and creates delightful products that are worthy of trust.
The Business Intelligence team sits at the intersection of numerous cross-functional partnerships including (but not limited to) Product, Growth, Marketing, Sales, Business Development, Data Engineering, and Data Science. We wear multiple hats and flex multi-disciplinary skillsets in order to deliver repeatable and scalable data solutions to support better decision making throughout Dropbox. Our products impact a wide audience, ranging from non-technical to technical, from the individual contributor to the C-Suite.
We are seeking a Senior Business Intelligence Engineer to own key business partnership from end-to-end. You are not simply a dashboard developer. You are an internal consultant who will embed within partner teams to diagnose their pain points and meticulously craft a data strategy to improve their insights capabilities.
Successful candidates will have:
- A passion for creating accessible and intuitive data models. Knowledge of data warehouse modeling best practices and tradeoffs (dimensional data modeling, Kimball, Inmon, etc.).
- An obsession with data quality and cleanliness. Even a 1% variance keeps you up at night.
- An expertise in data visualization best practices, understanding the right design approach to use for a given audience.
- Customer obsession and accountability to partners. Their problems are your problems.
- Creation of semantic layers in the data warehouse that abstract complex business concepts.
- Data governance and certification of sources of truth for key data sets at Dropbox.
- Consulting on development of new data sets, being the voice of the customer/business by partnering with Data Engineering and Data Scientists to build the right pipelines.
- Maintenance and stewardship of metric definitions, KPIs, customer segmentations, etc.
- Development of automated dashboards and reports to support a variety of use cases from business reviews to exploratory analyses.
- Develop alerting mechanisms to separate the signal from the nose.
- Identify and analyze key trends to communicate to senior leaders.
- SQL as a first language with the chops to go toe-to-toe with any data engineer.
- The ability to develop and automate their own ETL. Proficiency in programming/scripting in Python, Airflow, and/or Stored Procedures is a plus.
- An expertise in one or more industry leading enterprise business intelligence tools such as Tableau, Looker, PowerBI, Qlik, etc. (Tableau preferred) ..as well as the basics like Excel.
- Experience working across both Hadoop (Hive) and traditional RDBMS (Snowflake, Teradata, etc.) environments on high volume customer data sets relating to finance, subscriptions, product usage and engagement.
- An ability to analyze key trends and communicate insights, as well as the ability to develop/innovate new metrics to track the business.
- An ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements and vice versa.
- Bachelors’ or above in quantitative discipline: Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 3+ years experience using analytics to drive key business decisions; examples include business/product/marketing analytics, business intelligence, strategy consulting
- Proven track record of being able to work independently and proactively engage with business stakeholders with minimal direction
- Strong project management and prioritization skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).
Benefits and Perks
- Generous company contribution toward individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
- 401k + company match
- Market competitive total compensation package
- Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Generous vacation policy
- 10 company paid holidays
- Volunteer time off
- Company sponsored tech talks (technology and other relevant professional topics)